Detroit Babies

Opinions on Names

I just can't seem to get past these few names and could use some honest opinions and suggestions.

For our son:

Michael Edward, III

For our daughter:

Sophie Anna OR Ada Elizabeth

My thoughts: 

DH is a junior, and despite long discussions and debates, it is too important to him to have this name go on for me to keep pushing.  I like the name, I just would prefer our son have his own name, and perhaps one that is more original.  Honestly, though, there really aren't any boy names that scream perfect for me.  My husband goes by Mike as does his dad (who often ends up "Big Mike" - not a nickname I want my husband taking on!).  I want to call our son Michael exclusively and don't really care for the nicknames Mikey, Cal, Trip, and Trey that I've heard so far.  If you have other nickname suggestions, please share!

Sophie is super popular, but it's the name Mike and I joked we'd have to name our baby if we accidentally conceived on our honeymoon in France over three years ago.  It kind of stuck in our minds since then.  Anna is my late maternal grandmother's name.  The popularity is the one thing that keeps me from being totally sold on Sophie.

Ada I just like.  I saw a sign for Ida, Ohio while driving through a couple of years ago and tossed it around in my mind until it morphed to the cuter Ada.  I prefer "old lady names" for girls, ones that sound somewhat new again.  I don't know any little girls with this name, but it has that Ava/Aidan thing that makes it sound somewhat contemporary.  Elizabeth is my middle name as well as that same grandmother's middle name. 

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Re: Opinions on Names

• Personally, I don't like the whole junior thing.  A friend of mine was forced to name her son after his dad (actually the baby is now "V" [the fifth], super long family tradition!) and she just sobbed having to do that.  I don't think that's cool...  Especially with twins, but at least they're not both boys, that would be really touchy.  Sorry you're stuck with it!  I like Michael though.  Do you want to give him a nickname or are you worried people will call him Mikey, etc?

I like Sophie or even Sophia.  Is Ada with a long "a" sound?  That's alright, but I prefer Sophie. I think my daughter has an old lady sound to it, lol!  What about Anna, Ella, Eleanor (call her Ellie if you want), Evelyn (Evie), Margaret (Maggie), Vivian?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've found a lot of people who agree with my dislike of naming our son after his dad, but unfortunately my husband just isn't one of them.  He's usually a very reasonable guy, not overly stubborn, and even with this he's tried to entertain other names.  But I've finally accepted that it's just more disappointing to him not to do it than it is to me to do it, and it's a good name on its own.  If we can get the name Michael to stick for the most part (without becoming Mike or Mikey or little Mike) and people resist calling my husband "big Mike,"  I think I can handle it.

Kem717, I love your daughter's name - definitely "old lady" and growing in popularity fast!  It's funny you suggested Eleanor.  A co-worker just named his daughter Eleanor Elizabeth (my mom's middle name and mine) and they're calling her Nora.  I was so tempted to steal it!  The funniest thing is he had twins as well and their son is Ryan Michael (my husband's late brother's name and his name).  Wierd!

• Loading the player...
  • I dislike nicknames.  I just don't understand giving a child a name and then shortening it.   I like the name Michael.  It's very traditional.  You will set the tone of what people will call him.  If you start calling him Michael in front of everybody and introduce him as Michael, usually that does the trick.    The only thing is if his family is into the whole nickname thing, it will be very hard to change them from calling him Mickey or whatever comes to their head no matter what you do.  So just be prepared for that.

Sophie and Ada are both very nice names.

• I agree w/the above poster, you're in control, you set the tone of what you call your son.  If people call him Mike, family or not, just nicely correct them.  My FIL called DD "Katie" and I told him "it's Kaitlyn, no other name". 

I didn't know Sophie was even popular, I haven't heard it on any kids I know of, just the CBC show called "Sophie".  One daughter in our playgroup is Sophia, which is a nice name. 

DD middle name is Elizabeth and if I wasn't so set on Kaitlyn for a first name, she probably would have been named Elizabeth.

Another possible name: Anna Elizabeth?  Just what came to mind on first thought.

GL!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I personally am not a fan of Juniors, III, etc. and nicknames.  Our son's name (we aren't sharing right now) can be shortened, but I HATE the nickname.  My DH's name is Joseph, I call him Joseph, not Joe.  BUT, IMO if it means so much to your DH to have your son named Michael I say go for it.  Our son will be named after DH's great-grandfather who immigrated over to America from Ukraine, and I respect his desire.  I actually love the name so it isn't a big deal and he won't be a junior or anything.

As for your girl names I like Sophie better than Ada.  Sophie is popular, however, if you look at the name trends for 2010 it is kind of taking a backseat to names like Ella, Ellie, etc.  Plus I think Sophie and Michael go great together :) 

• I really like the name sophie.  We considered that name for a girl.  As for juniors I am not a fan but completely understand your situation.  I do like the name Micheal.  We had too many in both of our families so that is why we ended up with an alexander.  our girls name would have been isabella grace. 
    image Sandy RIP 1-11-09 imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not a huge fan of juniors, but at the same time, I can understand how a guy might feel that's important, especially if he's already a junior.  It's one of those battles that isn't worth fighting, especially if you really don't mind the name.  As far as nicknames, I agree with the others that you set the tone.  Plus, formal names are kind of an "in" thing now.  Many people seem against nicknames

Sophie is cute- it use to be on the top of my girl name list.  Sadly, the squeaky giraffe teething toy which was a huge craze on the nest boards kind of killed it.  I know it's a popular name, but if you think about it, how many Sophie's have you ran across?  I think it's cute that there's a little bit of a story too between you and your hubby.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm in the minority, but I really like Ada. It's different. I also like "old lady" names- Aurelia's middle is Eleanor, and if we have another girl her name will be Evageline. Another thought on the Michael thing- what will his middle name be? If it's going to be Benjamin you could always call him MB. (Like desperate housewives- she had to name her son Maynerd Junior, which she didn't like, so they call him "MJ")

• Well ... I like Sophie ... since I have one. She's "legally" Sophia but Sophie to the family (and she calls herself Sophie).

The whole popular-name thing was something I thought about after everyone told me how popular it was. Then I decided that I loved the name too much to care. I grew up with a name that was uncommon and didn't like it ... so I think that affected our decision. I do like my name now, but I still wish I had a personalized lunch box when I was 8. :)

I love that all the classic names are coming back.

I've never had an issue with Jrs. I think it's something guys free strongly about one way or another. I have friends and family that use full "Michael' and not Mike. Again, I think it's a strong, classic name that you can never go wrong with it.

Good luck!

• I like Sophie...but I am partial since it will be DD's name. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ever since I was 12 and started taking French classes (and my "french name" was Sophie), and subsequently studied/lived in France for awhile, I have loved the name Sophie. I always thought I'd name any future daughter Sophie, but DH and I have decided that should we ever have a daughter we will use it as a middle name. Regardless though I love it!!

I also like Ada.

As for Jr's etc, I think it's fine. My brother's a III and we call him by his middle name to avoid confusion. We always had Mario (my grandpa), Mario Lino (little Mario - my dad), Mario David (my first cousin) and my brother who we call Franco. Eh, yell Mario in an Italian family and half the men come running. I kind of like it :)

A+S | Met 8/24/06 | Married 9/27/08
    Started TTC 12/2008 | dx PCOS 5/2009
    6 failed clomid/femara/TI cycles, 1 failed clomid/ovidrel/IUI cycle
    Successful Cycle: 5/12/11 - 1000mg Metformin + 100mg Clomid(late response) + TI = BFP

2/13/12 - We proudly welcomed our daughter, Hadley Teresa!
    Lots of Luck to all of 3T/IF

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"