Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Pls help with a Jewish/conservative girl baby naming

not sure where to post this, but I figured you ladies would have the most recent experience. We are Jewish Convservative and are having a girl. I know for a boy we would have had a bris at the in laws house with a brunch. What do we do for a girl? It's my understanding the my husband is supposed to do an alliyah at temple, but seems that no one really cares how far after the birth it's done? First, would I invite my family (whos' not jewish) to the temple, and is it done at Friday or saturday services? In laws were so gung ho about doing a bris and I told them I'd want something if it was a girl too, first they said ok, then they didn't really care after they found out it was a girl. I hate that some people seem to think a boy is more important. sorry I digress. Can you tell me what you and your DH did for your girl? I really want to have a brunch at the house or something, along with a naming ceremony if it's not done at temple. Just at a loss. I know I should call my Rabbi but I just feel dumb not knowing what to even ask.TIA.

Re: Pls help with a Jewish/conservative girl baby naming

• Options

I'm not Jewish and so I can't answer your question from my own experiences but I found this information.  I'm guessing you've found it too but just in case...

https://judaism.about.com/od/namingceremony/a/simchatbat.htm

Otherwise my first question to the Rabbi would be, 'what is our Temple's traditions/practices for welcoming a baby girl and naming her?'  Since each Temple seems to get to determine this according to the link above I figure it would be best to word it like that.

GL and Congrats!

• Options
    I currently belong to a Reform temple but was raised conservativ.  From what I understand jurst like a baby boy a girl goes through a naming ceremony when she is 8 days old.  This is done at the temple where she is introduced and accepted to the congregation.  Talk to your Rabbi though some temples do it differently
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I married a gentile and am not that religious but my cousin and his wife are very religious.  They brought their daughter to the first Saturday shabbot services at their temple and named here there.  They didn't tell ANYONE her name until then.  She was 4 or 5 days old at that point.  But that is the super Jewish religious way to do it.  I've heard of more conservative people doing it like you are thinking.  And yes, talk to the rabbi of the temple you plan on doing this at as they will probably have their ways that you would have to abide by. 
  • Options

Hi there,

I have two boys, but lots of fam/friends who have had namings.  It is much less "structured" than a bris which has to be 8 days from birth.  It is retty much up to you and your rabbi when/how you want to do it.  Many people wait a few months to have it since there is no set time to do it (if you are conservative or reform).

I have been to several namings in which the rabbi came to the house and did a short ceremony and then brunch was served (in the same location).  The parents took th ebaby to temple a different day for the father to have an aliyah.  Extended family did not attend this part.  Alternateively, do the naming at the temple and then invite family out to brunch or back to your house for brunch.  Many synagogues will also do an "oneg shabbat" afterwards which is challah, wine, and food after Sat morning services.  Most synagogues will invite the whole congregation to attend this however, so it's not just your family.

Basically, talk to your rabbi and ask if you can pick when to do it (how many months old), what the synagogue portion involves, if he would be willing to come to your house (or other location) on a Sunday morning (when it is not Shabbat) and have a short ceremony for your family/friends, if he has other suggestions/experiences that can help you decide how to celebrate this special event.  Ask what other congregants usually do and then you'll figure it out.

GL!  I usually don't frequentthis board, but if you have any questions you can page me on the local Atlanta board.  HTH!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"