Parenting
Options

How far is too far for a vacation house?

In your opinion? A house you will mostly visit on weekends (so, leaving after work Friday afternoon, coming back Sunday night) with one or two longer visits a year. 3 hour drive? 4 hour drive?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How far is too far for a vacation house?

• Options
    Me, personally, 2 hours is probably my max.
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/9/11 - 34:24 - 1st race evah!
    Kelly Monaghan's 5K - 5/15/11 - 3rd Place in AG
    Walk the Talk 5K - 5/18/11 - 31:12 PR
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/14/12 - 1st race of the year, 32:45
  • Options

My brother lives in Manhattan and owns a house in the Hamptons. He says that after 2 years, the drive is getting old. It's 2ish hours with no traffic, and more like 4 with traffic.

Take that for what it's worth, though, because they do the drive most weekends, not just a few times a year.

ETA that my answer would be about 2 hours.

AKA KnittyB*tch
    DS - December 2006
    DD - December 2008

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have a farm 4 hours away.  We hardly ever go because it is just too far to go for 1 or 2 nights.  2 is my max, and 1.5 is ideal.  The one we had growing up was 30 minutes and that was great!
  • Options

Well where I grew up, there's nowhere really you can go for a vacation house that is nearby, so most people have vacation homes in South Carolina [Hilton Head], Florida [Destin] or Alabama [Gulf Shores] and go several times a year.  Or on the flipside, Colorado or somewhere else with skiing/mountains.  IN just isn't really that close to anywhere vacation-esque.

I mean, people might have lakehouses nearer by, but the vast majority who had "vacation" houses and referred to them as such had them quite far away.

ETA: for the lakehouse option that we are considering - 2 hours is probably my max.  Maybe 3.

• Options
    Three hours for me. 
  • Options
    Ha - DH is looking at houses in Maine that are SIX HOURS away. I told him he was nuts. As it is, whatever house we get will probably be 4 hours, which is already pushing it.
  • Options

2 hours. 

• Options

imageDevonPow:
    Ha - DH is looking at houses in Maine that are SIX HOURS away. I told him he was nuts. As it is, whatever house we get will probably be 4 hours, which is already pushing it.

I bet our husbands are looking at some of the exact same properties.

3 hours is my max.

Nadia Irene 8/13/07 Reid Owen 8/18/09
  • Options
    Our cottage is 20 minutes away (we are spoiled).  But I wouldn't drive more than 3 hours (traffic included) each way.
    promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options

I'd say 2 hours.

6-8 hours (taking both ways into account) in the car with a preschooler for a weekend would be BRUTAL!

Sisterly love--Sophia (1/14/07) and Baby Margaux (7/13/10) image Doctor in training! :)image
  • Options

For me it's probably 1.5 hours.  You have to think ahead that the kids will probably be in some sort of sport that will probably have some weekend game/practices.  If it's an hour or less you could even zip back for a game and return or even go on a Sat. after the game and spend Sat. afternoon/Sun. there. 

Our friends have one that's about 2.5-3 hours and I think it's kind of annoying to go that far and I think when their 3 kids get older, they won't have time to get up there due to other commitments that the kids will have.

• Options
    1.5 to 2 hours max. Anything more would be a chore to go to on the weekends.
  • Options

3 hours!

We are trying to keep our vacation home with in 3 hours tops.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"