Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Depo-Provera Withdrawal?

Came across this article today:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/depo-provera-birth-control-injections-withdrawal-symptoms/story?id=8902273&page=1

I was on depo for 3 years and I had terrible withdrawal symptoms when I came off.  I often wonder if it was one of the reasons we had such a hard time TTC. 

I loved Depo while I was on it (although I did gain weight) because it was such a fool-proof method, and I only had to think about it once every 3 months.... but now, off it, I would never suggest it to anyone.

Anyone else have experience with Depo?

Re: Depo-Provera Withdrawal?

• Options
    Thats the reason my OB had me stop taking it (after being on it for 8 years) and switch to BCP for a year before ttc....and I guess now they recommend that you dont take Depo for more than 3 years at a time (or something like that)
    BFP#1 2/5/09...EDD 10/13/09...m/c 2/11/2009 BFP#2 7/15/09...EDD 03/27/10...Missed m/c on 08/27/09 BFP#3 on 10/29/2009...EDD 7/13/10 Bennett 07/12/10 9 pounds 4oz and 19 1/2 inches BFP#4 11/02/10...EDD 07/16/11 Elise 06/29/11 8 pounds 8oz 20 1/2 inches 2u2 for an entire year!!! WOWZA Forever buddy to Leah11599 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I was on it for about 3 months a loooong time ago, b/c I wanted to not have to worry about periods.  Ironically, it was HORRIBLE for me, and I bled for 3 months straight, so when I talked to my doc, she said that was not normal and I just went back on the pill.

I don't think it was the source of our TTC trouble, but after I went on it I started doing some reading (what a good idea, huh?  Now I try reading about things BEFORE I put them in my body!) it seems like it is the only form of birth control with a huge community of people who had negative effects from it, and blame it for everything from weight gain to severe depression!

So, short story - not a fan, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ooooh yeah.  Years ago I was on it for about 2 years.  When I stopped I had severe vertigo and dizziness, violent mood swings, and nausea.  Ever since then I have had problems with ovarian cysts where I need surgery 2 diff times.  It took about 2 years for my periods to become regular and the cramps that came along, OMG, lets just say I have to call of work, take something like percocet, and just cry.  It should be taken off the market for sure.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"