2nd Trimester

Do babies wear long sleeves in the summer?

LO is due June 12... should I not bother getting anything with long sleeves in the 0-3 sizes?  What about a coming home outfit - will LO be too hot in long sleeves?  I know babies have a hard time controlling their body temp early on, but I don't want my baby to broil!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Do babies wear long sleeves in the summer?

• DS wore a onsie-type outfit all summer long.  Even when he slept.  He was always HOT.

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• So glad you asked this!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • If you go somewhere with a/c you will probably want the baby in more than a tee. I would get some cardigans, etc... Also, do you use the a/c in your place? You typically dress them the same as yourself, and maybe with one thin extra layer.
  • imagejustinlovesme:
    So glad you asked this!! 

Me too, I was wondering the same!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would have a few lightweight cotton outfits with long sleeves and long pants, for when you are in a/c- preferably stuff you can take off easily if they get too hot!
    Baby #3
    BabyFetus Ticker>
  • DD was born in July, and mostly wore onesies and lightweight sleepers at night. I did have a couple of loose cotton long sleeve shirts for if we went out in the sun. I wanted to keep her skin covered since you can't put sunscreen on lo's. She was fine in those.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Making lefse at the cabin **Scott 6/8/96** **Avery 7/24/08** **Brendan 7/15/10**
  • At night, I would put her in a long sleeved sleeper.....but our house is ACd so....

Other than that, short sleeves seemed to do the trick, and she was born the end of May.

• imagebalibaby:
    If you go somewhere with a/c you will probably want the baby in more than a tee. I would get some cardigans, etc... Also, do you use the a/c in your place? You typically dress them the same as yourself, and maybe with one thin extra layer.

We have AC and he was still too hot in anything but a thin onsie outfit.  The first night home from the hospital I put him in long sleeve pj's and he sweat through them.  I still feel bad about that, lol. 

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• Our house has window A/C... and DH is a cheapskate so it's never cold in the house, just not hot.  There are definitely cooler days in Boston, even in early June, so I might get a couple long-sleeved onesies and keep the rest short sleeve... 
  • Thank you for asking this! I've been shopping for LO and I wasn't sure if we should bother getting any long sleeved things for right away. I guess we'll get her a couple cardis for when we're in the a/c and long sleeve sleepers for when we have the a/c on in the house. :)
  • imagemrs.jenni:

imagebalibaby:
    If you go somewhere with a/c you will probably want the baby in more than a tee. I would get some cardigans, etc... Also, do you use the a/c in your place? You typically dress them the same as yourself, and maybe with one thin extra layer.

We have AC and he was still too hot in anything but a thin onsie outfit.  The first night home from the hospital I put him in long sleeve pj's and he sweat through them.  I still feel bad about that, lol. 

Some little one's definitely run super warm. We keep the A/C cranked here though, my dd was born in August and I had to run the A/C super high, I remember it being 108 in an early Sept. heat wave. Plus if you swaddle them, you definitely won't want more than a onsie.

• my DD was born in late july, we live in FL, with July and August being the two hottest months in FL.  she wore long sleeves almost every day.  espiecally when we started daycare, it was freezing in that place.
  • My son didn't and he was born in the spring-March.The first couple months he was in short sleeve onesies and was always swaddled when sleeping. I haven't bought anything long sleves for this little one either-she is due June 3. I live in Dallas though-so it gets pretty toasty early on.

• We put LO in long sleeves almost all the time She was a june 21st baby. She was in the Nicu though so we were pretty aware of her temp and took it constantly to make sure she was warm enough. We have AC and she was cold. Some babies are hot all the time though. I would for sure get a few long sleeves even if you don't think you'll use them.
  • The rule of thumb is to dress them the same way you dress yourself.  If you'd be too hot in a long sleeved shirt, then so would baby.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"