2nd Trimester

babies and weddings

We got a Save-the-date in the mail yesterday.  I figure our baby will be around 2 months at that time.  Is that too early to take a baby or not?  What would you do?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: babies and weddings

• I have a wedding 6 weeks after my due date and it's in Wi. We are planning on going. Everyone that I have talked to said it should be ok to take LO with.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd ask the bride and groom. Many times, children are excluded from weddings, so I would definitely check with them. And honestly, my son would have been a nightmare at that age at something like that. Some babies are great and sleep through events, but he wouldn't have. I'd definitely find a sitter if you are able to. Then you can have a fun time!
  • Loading the player...
  • Well its DH's cousin and they know we are expecting...I'm just concerned about taking the baby where all the family will be meeting him/her for first time...and too many people wanting to touch/hold the baby....
  • I specifically stated "no children" in my wedding invites.  If they have this plan, they wouldn't say it in the save the dates.  Not saying that your LO would do this, but who really wants someone crying through their vows?  I would get a sitter.

• I would not assume your baby is invited even though you got a save the date.  DS would have slept through everything till about 5pm and then cried till 10pm. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Well if they say no kids we won't go.  I'm not to concerned. We've never gone to a family wedding that did not want children yet.  There have always been a lot of little kids at all the family's weddings.

i'm writing the post in concern of the baby...not wedding etiquette.

• imagequeenofkings76:

Well if they say no kids we won't go.  I'm not to concerned. We've never gone to a family wedding that did not want children yet.  There have always been a lot of little kids at all the family's weddings.

I think you should wait and see how your LO does at the time of the day of the wedding. Maybe it will be fine, but as pp mentioned, some kids are very fussy in the evenings and it just wouldn't work well.

If you are planning to babywear, that is a good way to tell people to back off or ask permission before touching. And you can always just speak up. But by 2 months, I wouldn't worry as much about germs, especially that time of year. Honestly, I'd be more concerned about whether you will be able to enjoy yourself.

• It kinda depends on the wedding.  I am in a wedding 2 months after my due date but I know the bride wants an adult reception so LO will have his first baby sitting with uncle and auntie. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagequeenofkings76:
    Well its DH's cousin and they know we are expecting...I'm just concerned about taking the baby where all the family will be meeting him/her for first time...and too many people wanting to touch/hold the baby....

I have thought about this too. Personally, at our wedding earlier in the year, we didn't want a baby screaming through our vows.  I would ask your cousin, and then refer to if there is a cry room that either you or your DH could sit in with the baby.  Or bring along a friend to stay with the baby at the hotel.  Even strangers will want to hold your baby.  

image pregnancy calendar Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • At 2 months I wouldn't be too worried about germs. If you are, you can always cover the baby's sroller/ carseat w/e so no one can touch the baby without asking. In all honesty, though, it should be fine even if the child is passed around.

However, I'd wait to see what you child's demeanor is first. DS would have slept right through a wedding. If you have a fussy or high needs child. unless you have it 100% under control, I'd get a sitter.

• imagequeenofkings76:

Well if they say no kids we won't go.  I'm not to concerned. We've never gone to a family wedding that did not want children yet.  There have always been a lot of little kids at all the family's weddings.

Just based on the concern of the baby, then I would say you are fine to take him/her. I would not be worried about germs.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• It should be fine. LO will probably just sleep through everything anyway.

• imagequeenofkings76:

We have a family wedding also about 8 weeks after my due date..I think the baby will be fine at the wedding, I'll bring my sling and bjorn, and honestly will have so many relatives dying to take care of her that I think it'll be fine. I'm not concerned with germs in the summer, and they have had their shots by then.

Baby #3
    BabyFetus Ticker>
  • We took DD to FL for a wedding when she was 3m old.  She slept through everything, never made a peep.  It was hardest on us since she slept in her swing at home at night then, so she had a hard time sleeping in the hotel.  If it's local, I say go for it.
  • I brought my son to weddings at 2 months and 3 months. They were for his aunt and uncle though, and myself and my husband were a part of both.  He stayed in the cry room with a sitter for both masses. He came for about an hour of the reception and then left. I have a very easy going baby, but wedding receptions are loud! And not really baby friendly.

If you are traveling and having to spend a bunch of money, I might skip it. It just wouldn't be worth it unless you were extremely close to the person getting married. If it was close by, I would go and bring the baby, but don't expect to have a great time and plan on leaving early. People will want to hold the baby, but by 2 months that shouldn't be a problem as long as you are there.

• If your baby has colic, all bets are off. Evenings are usually the worst and I promise that a wedding with an inconsolable newborn is the last place you'll want to be. Chances are good (90%) you won't have a colic baby, but if you do, I speak from experience, be prepared to change your plans or get a very patient sitter for the hotel room and go have some much needed fun. ;)
  • I would ask and leave it up to the bride & groom. Some people would not appreciate the baby there (especially at the ceremony). I know with DS if the bride & groom said no, I would have decline. DS would not take a bottle so I couldnt really go anywhere without him for several months.
  • Totally depends on the wedding. I have a friend getting married this summer, the baby will be 1 month old and will stay with grandma for that one. However, SIL is getting married when LO will be 2 months old and she will be comming with us. SIL's wedding is held at our in-laws cottage where DH and I have our own on the same Island so our LO will be welcome and will also have her own bed if she needs it.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • we took DS to a wedding when he was 6 weeks old. and didn't have any problems he actually slept most of the time.  Althought i didn't see too much of him DH's family was having to much fun saying hi to him since the hadn't really meat him yet. They live about an hour north of us.  I don't think it will be to much of a problem.  
  • I'd wait to see how LO was doing, but I'd also wait to see what the invites say.
  • We have a wedding 7/3 and our baby is due 6/9. My Mom is traveling with us to watch the baby while we are at the wedding.
  • We have my cousins wedding 3 months after LO arrives.  We are planning on going and my mom and her husband will help.  If the baby is too active or just having a bad day, then we will just leave and go back to my parents house.  The wedding is 4 hours away from where we live.  Since this wedding isn't by you either, I would just have a back up plan.  Either have someone that can stay with the baby, or just plan to leave early and go to a family members house/hotel.  Hope for the best, plan for the worst.  Good luck!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"