Pregnant after a Loss

Can we talk cord blood?

So I would love to do this and think it is wonderful....but it cost a lot(only looked at viacord prices). What is everyone else thinking?

My second cousin was saved by her sister's cord blood so it makes me want it more!

Re: Can we talk cord blood?

• I really want to save my cord blood..  but the cost does put me off a little.  Being a survivor of childhood cancer myself - I'm very aware of the importance..  I just don't know if if I will be able to get DH on board
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I at first thought we should also bank our LO's cord blood until I did some research.  First, there is a national cord blood banking center that you can donate your LO's cord blood too, so if you needed cord blood in the future you could use the national donated bank. Secondly, research shows that if you let the cord naturally stop pulsating before you clamp and cut it, the baby has a lower risk for anemia, issues with vital organs, bleeding out, and other major problems.  When your placenta begins to shut down it kicks all of the good red blood cells into the baby which is why you should wait until the cord stops pulsing (about 5 min).  

Good Luck~ 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • If we can find a way to afford it, somehow get it in our budget, we will.  But it's not looking that way :(  My niece was diagnosed with Leukemia when she was only 5 and had her parents have saved her cord blood, they would have had a much smoother journey.... they didn't, so they were on wait lists and had all kinds of stress/fears etc when trying to get donors for her blood transfusions.  Thankfully she is now a thriving 8 year old in remission.  It is definitely worth it when you have only 1 child (or think/know you might at birth).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagelabbie1821:

I at first thought we should also bank our LO's cord blood until I did some research.  First, there is a national cord blood banking center that you can donate your LO's cord blood too, so if you needed cord blood in the future you could use the national donated bank. Secondly, research shows that if you let the cord naturally stop pulsating before you clamp and cut it, the baby has a lower risk for anemia, issues with vital organs, bleeding out, and other major problems.  When your placenta begins to shut down it kicks all of the good red blood cells into the baby which is why you should wait until the cord stops pulsing (about 5 min).  

This.  We had planned to bank the blood until I did some research and found out that cord blood is best used by letting the baby have it right away.  If you delay cord clamping, you can't bank.  Delaying cord clamping gives the baby the rest of his/her blood, preventing anemia, stabilizing body temperature etc.  There have even been studies that it prevents jaundice. 

https://academicobgyn.com/2009/12/03/delayed-cord-clamping-should-be-standard-practice-in-obstetrics/

• We haven't decided yet, but we would donate, not bank.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"