Austin Babies
Options

Hawaii

I am going to Hawaii to met DH for 4 days in Jan.  Any recommendations for things to do?  We are staying on base but are close to Pearl Harbor or at least I read close but heard traffic is yucky!
Married and it feels so good! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Hawaii

• Options

We went in June.  Traffic is slow.  Like 40 on the Interstate.  I wish we had hopped the trolley to Hilo Hattie's just for the experience.

We spent most of our time near Waikiki.  I didn't get to climb Diamond Head as our group forgot to invite me - but that would have been fun.  If you go to Waikiki, the military hotel there has a really cheap walk up cafe. We ate a bunch of our meals there - really yummy burgers.

I was about to list my Oahu and Kawaii Revealed books on Craigslist for cheap.  Want first dibs on my Oahu one?  It'll have anything you might want to do.

• Options

Oh!  I love Hawaii!  I used to go there every six weeks for work (tough gig).  My favorite place to go is North Shore - Haleiwa and Sunset Beach.  Not as touristy as Waikiki.  However, since it is winter, those beaches tend to be really rough with huge waves.  You may want to just visit them and see what you think.  Waikiki beaches can be crowded but are still lovely.  Everyone has their favorite beaches over there.  A couple of good ones - Ala Moana (a local favorite), Hanama (sp?) Bay for snorkeling, Lanikai, Kailua Beach.  Take your pick. 

Traffic can be awful, but at least the drivers are friendly!  People are very friendly over there. 

I also liked the Polynesian Cultural Center.  That's a whole day event.  Very interesting.  Very informational.  If you don't have time to devote to it, two good luaus are Germaine's or Paradise Cove.  Been to all three and enjoyed all.

Have a terrific time!  My hubby and I have been talking about heading over there sometime this next year.  Enjoy!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMrsRosie:

- Hawaii Shark Encounters (must do IMO).  One of the most exciting and interesting experiences you will ever have.  Book the second trip out in the morning, not the first and not the third, if you can.  The first time we did this we saw 30+ galapagos sharks.  The second time we happend to be out during the tiger shark migration period.  We saw three HUGE tigers.  Amazing animals.  I'm less afraid of sharks after having this experience twice.  I also rec'ed this to Nestie Karen2508(?) so you could probably page her on the main board.

If sharks are still ok for you - it was awesome. MrsRosie gives some GREAT recommendations. And ditto the photographer suggestion - DH and I didn't do this when we were there a couple months ago, and looking back, I wish we had.

Also, on the Diamond Head hike - we did it, and it was a little more strenuous than we expected. the 3/4 miles up on the path was easy...it was the steps that nearly killed us. You'd like, oh, I'm near the top, only to turn the corner and see another flight of stairs, and again, and again. The view at sunrise was cool, but certainly not the highlight of our trip. Visiting the north shore was awesome - the beaches are so much more empty. and the scenery is beautiful. Have fun!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"