Babies: 0 - 3 Months

does anyone else's LO sleep in their carseat?

DS will only sleep in his carseat at night.  I was okay with it, until I decided to look on Google about babies sleeping in carseats.  Almost every web-site I went on said that is was a bad idea since their heads can bob forward, possibly causing their airways to to blocked off and it can cause spine problems from being in the sitting position for so long.  So now I am thinking I have been a bad mom by letting him do this.  But he STTN while he is in there and I do have the carseat right next to my bed.  I actually sleep really well right next to me also.  I just don't know what to do.  Do I keep letting him sleep in his carseat?  We started laying him in his crib this week, but he doesn't stay asleep.  He stayed in the crib all night the other night, but didn't rest well and was CRANKY the next day.  I was just wonder what other moms have done in this situation?  Would you keep him in his carseat if he slept well in it?  He has his 2 month appointment on Monday, so I am going to ask the pedi his thoughts on this.

BTW...  I have tried swaddling him.... he SCREAMED his head off!  And I have even tried elevating the mattress to an incline...didn't work either!  This kid just loves his carseat, I guess!

Re: does anyone else's LO sleep in their carseat?

• I was never okay with letting my LO sleep at home anywhere other than a safe place. I just could not forgive myself if something happened and it was something I could have prevented.

I got a snuggle nest and they slept okay in that or in the PNP next to me at night. 

IMO knowing LO is as safe as I can make them is more important that STTN at this point. 

• My LO sleeps in his car seat and I have no problem letting him sleep where he is comfortable.  At night the seat is on the floor by my side of the bed and that process works great.   DS even naps in the car seat.

I think if they can sleep in a swing or ride in long car rides the should be fine in a car seat.  I have notice LO's head bobbing in the swing but never in the car seat since it is more reclined.  There are always so many conflicting studies I am over relying on some study to tell me how to parent.

That being said we just got the Woombie in today so I am going to try the crib tonight.

• Loading the player...
  • I would never let Henry sleep in the car seat. The car base is supposed to keep it at the correct angle so thy don't compress their airway, but outside of the car you can't get that angle! It's just not safe.
    Hatching the Hawks
    Hatching the Hawks
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I let DS sleep in his carseat if we have been out & about in the car but I wouldn't let him sleep in it at night for the sake of STTN. Our DS will only sleep about 5-6 hours right now (they are the same age I think) & I know there is a reason he is waking up & not STTN (he's hungry).

My pedi frowned upon DS sleeping in his little lamb swing for the first month....I didn't listen to her - he eventually transitioned to his crib about 3 weeks ago & has been fine. I would try the crib for little stretches...it will be a rough couple nights but the end product will be worth it. Good luck!!

• imageDufflings09:

I think if they can sleep in a swing or ride in long car rides the should be fine in a car seat.

This.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My LO has been sleeping in her carseat for the last week b/c she has a cold. My pedi was fine with it. Once her cold is gone, she will go back into the bassinet or crib.

However, my older DD slept in her bouncy seat until she was 3 months old due to reflux and my pedi was fine with it.

You have to do what you need to do to get sleep. That JMO though.

Stay away from google! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"