Breastfeeding

Will not pumping today effect my supply greatly?

Babies don't nurse well (they always fall asleep and are impossible to wake up), so I nurse and then normally follow up with a bottle.  I haven't had the chance to pump today, my mom's over right now so I can't right this minute.  Hopefully I'll be able to tonight before I go to sleep (so freaking engorged), one day shouldn't effect my supply too much I assume.

Re: Will not pumping today effect my supply greatly?

• I don't think so.  It takes about 4 days for your body to respond to a change in demand with a corresponding change in supply.  So if you kept up the not-pumping thing for a few days you would maybe see it, but one missed feeding/pumping--you should be able to just get all that extra milk out later when you do pump.

The only thing is, if you are very engorged, you want to be careful about getting mastitis (a breast infection)--so for that reason you might just want to slip away and at least take the edge off some of the engorgement if you can.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • no i've done it a couple of times and neither time had a significant effect on my supply.  good luck though and don't make it a habit.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not being snarky (honestly) because I've done the same thing before, but-

if you have to pump and your mom is there, that should make it easier in theory- She can watch the babies while you pump, right?  Unfortunately this is not usually what happens, in my house either.

I tend to not pump when we have people over too, especially if I'm the only other adult home, and it's not good for me or my supply I know.  Once or twice is no big deal but it has happened here a lot and I wouldn't want you to start to slide like I did.  

We've had a lot of help because we have twins, but lately we've started to really discern the difference between having visitors and having help.  Help will stay with the babies while I pump in another room. But even my mom is becoming less 'help' now because I feel the need, or I want, to stay and spend time with her rather than go upstairs to pump.  I'm beginning to resent people coming over and disrupting my pumping.  Same goes for people who I don't feel comfortable BFing in front of.  And people who come over late because then I feel like I need to keep the babies downstairs so they can see them, rather than doing the routine we are trying to establish.

So for today, no, no big deal, once in awhile is ok.  But be careful to not let this happen often, make sure you keep your body and your routines mostly a priority for your own sanity and for the sake of your LO!

(Writing this post was a good reminder to me to keep things in perspective- I hope you don't take offense) 

• image3VIBride:

I'm not being snarky (honestly) because I've done the same thing before, but-

if you have to pump and your mom is there, that should make it easier in theory- She can watch the babies while you pump, right?  Unfortunately this is not usually what happens, in my house either.

I tend to not pump when we have people over too, especially if I'm the only other adult home, and it's not good for me or my supply I know.  Once or twice is no big deal but it has happened here a lot and I wouldn't want you to start to slide like I did.  

We've had a lot of help because we have twins, but lately we've started to really discern the difference between having visitors and having help.  Help will stay with the babies while I pump in another room. But even my mom is becoming less 'help' now because I feel the need, or I want, to stay and spend time with her rather than go upstairs to pump.  I'm beginning to resent people coming over and disrupting my pumping.  Same goes for people who I don't feel comfortable BFing in front of.  And people who come over late because then I feel like I need to keep the babies downstairs so they can see them, rather than doing the routine we are trying to establish.

So for today, no, no big deal, once in awhile is ok.  But be careful to not let this happen often, make sure you keep your body and your routines mostly a priority for your own sanity and for the sake of your LO!

(Writing this post was a good reminder to me to keep things in perspective- I hope you don't take offense) 

No offense taken.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"