Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

milk supply :(

just when BF-ing was getting easier & more on a schedule, I think my supply is going down.  I fed her on my right breast a few minutes ago & decided that since I was going to drink tonight I would just pump my left breast.  Usually she will eat more on 1 boob than the other,  then I alternate which breast I start her on the next feeding.  Well when I pumped that breast I couldn't even get 1/2 an ounce out f it!  I haven't fed her on that breast for at least 3 hours.  Now I'm wondering if that is why she has been really cranky & just wanting to eat the last couple of days.  Maybe I'm not producing enough milk for her!  I ended up giving her a 2 oz bottle of formula last night b/c she was so fussy. 

can I build my supply back up, or once it starts dwindling, is it the beginning of the end? 

Re: milk supply :(

• Options
    I would love to know the answer to this too!  Sometimes when I pump I get a ton of milk and sometimes barely anything.  It is frustrating!  My LO has gotten into the habit of nursing on just one side and then the other 2 -3 hours later.  I am wondering if I should pump the other side instead of just waiting for the next feeding. Hmm...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagedbos99:
    I would love to know the answer to this too!  Sometimes when I pump I get a ton of milk and sometimes barely anything.  It is frustrating!  My LO has gotten into the habit of nursing on just one side and then the other 2 -3 hours later.  I am wondering if I should pump the other side instead of just waiting for the next feeding. Hmm...

My lactation nurse told me that if LO only feeds on one side then I need to pump the other so my supply doesnt decrease. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Maybe try fenugreek?  It's worked for me, though I started low and it helped me go up, not your situation.  Best wishes!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Natural miscarriage @ 5w2d 5/25/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageheather121709:

imagedbos99:

My lactation nurse told me that if LO only feeds on one side then I need to pump the other so my supply doesnt decrease. 

really...my lactation nurse said that if she refuses the other breast just feed her from that one the next time.  I will start pumping the other breast now, maybe that will help. 

• Options
    ANd don't forget that pumps don't empty you out as well as LO does.  So if you pump 1 oz, LO can probably suck out 2oz.
  • Options

Try throwing in some extra pumping sessions, drinking lots of water & eating oatmeal!

GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"