Breastfeeding
Options

How long til it stops hurting?

Ive been EBF since he came out, but my nipples are so sore and pretty cracked. Ive seen a lactation consultant twice since I left the hospital and I leave her feeling like it doesnt hurt anymore and doing great, but by the next day they start hurting again. Im sure its just because my wounds have to heal and was wondering how long it took for the pain to go away and/or how long it took for the cracks to heal.

Re: How long til it stops hurting?

• Options

Keep air drying after each nursing and keep using a TON of nipple cream afterwards. Also rub in a bit of milk into each nipple - the milk will help your skin heal too. Even if you did everything perfectly, its gonna sting pretty well for a couple of weeks, so don't feel like you are way off base!

Make sure your baby keeps doing the "fish lips" - those babies will slip and start pinching again especially when they are new. AS they grow their mouths get bigger and better at taking in more of your breast and that helps too. 

• Options
    We're in the same boat so don't have much advice.  Mine had scabs on them from a few early bad latches that really screwed them up and since I kept nursing, they just never healed.  The lactation consultant recommended I take some time off and pump so that's what I've done the last 2 days.  It's been awful, I won't lie.  I hate feeling so distant from LO and feeling like I can't provide him what he needs.  But nipples have healed after 2 days of pumping and gel packs on them, so now hopefully it'll be better when I start nursing again.  I just didn't want them to get to the point where they got infected or anything so had to take the time off.  Now I just have to watch his latch, continue to use lanisoh ointment and rub the BM in and let it airdry after each feeding. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine hurt for the first few weeks (maybe 3?? 4??) I honestly can't remember anymore but I do remember being a little miserable. I can promise you, though, it goes away and it gets so easy. I'm sure you're probably sick of hearing that, but it really does get easy.
  • Options
    for me it was 6 weeks till it was totally pain free. My LC recommended using breast shells to help with sore/cracked nipples and they were awesome!  Medela sells them.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

For me 2-3 weeks until I didn't wince each time he latched on, and 1-2 months before the towel from my shower didn't set my nips on fire.

GL! FWIW...BF now feels fabulous.  I hope you can stick with it and get to this point.  I feel so comfortable doing it!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

it took about 4-5 weeks...stick to it...the pain won't be there one day and you'll feel proud! Bf'ing wasn't meant to be easy!

• Options
    3-4 weeks.  It is painful and it is not fun, at first.  It'll get better.  Nipple cream really helps and use the breast pads too between your clothes.  I think that helped, they felt softer against the nipples than just the bra.  Once your better and have healed, if you have a feed or two without the best latch, the pain can return too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"