Trying to Get Pregnant

Settle this driving argument!

OK, maybe not an argument.  Let's call it a driving dispute between DH and me. Wink

So you've got 5 lanes of traffic:  two going one direction, two going the other direction, and a turn lane in the middle.  What is the purpose of the turn lane?  Is it for cars in traffic waiting to into businesses on either side of the street?  Or is it for cars pulling out of businesses waiting to merge in with moving traffic?  Can it be used for both?  Should it be used for both?

I won't tell you what side of the argument I'm on.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Settle this driving argument!

• It can and should be used for both.
    dx PCOS on Metformin
    LO#1 - 19 cycles, 3 IUIs, 1 m/c, gonal-f, ganirelix, ovidrel, progesterone
    Totally worth the wait!
    Getting ready for #2
    Back on Met, PCOS diet, prepping for treatments 1/12

Good luck to the wonderful ladies of 3T
    Always cheering on my girls Gymnst1013 & MrsJohns
    My Chart / Info for Newbies
  • I'd say it can be used for both.
  • Loading the player...
  • I use it for both.  If I am turning in to a business, I will use it to get out of traffic and make turning easier.  However, if I am coming out of a business on to a crowded street and have an opportunity to get in the middle and then quickly merge into the correct lane, I will.  I do not use it for long term stops when leaving a business.
  • I use it for both.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageRileyGrace:
    It can and should be used for both.

this

• I use it as an area to pull over and finish my make-up.
  • i think both.  definitely for getting OFF the road to other streets or businesses, and it can be hard to cross so many lanes at once, so cross two lanes, wait in the middle for traffic to let you in the lane you want. hope you win! er, settle the dispute ;)
  • I believe you can use it for both.

Proud Momma to two beautiful children!!!

• Absolutely both.

MFI and (now) AMA
    IVF 1 April 2011 - Cancelled
    IVF 1.5 July 2011 - MC
    IVF 2 October 2011 - BFP!
    *Identical Twin Boys born June 2012*
    Here we go again...IVF 3 is underway!
  • imageMrs_JAMY:
    I use it as an area to pull over and finish my make-up.

lol! 

• imageRileyGrace:

This. Yes

Lilypie Maternity tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers ____________________________________________________________________________ *4 angel babies in heaven*__ *DX with Progesterone defficiency June 2010* *Haylie Marie & Makenzie Shayanne adopted November 2010* **SURPRISE! !ALL NATURAL MIRACLE BFP!!12/26/10 (MERRY CHRISTMAS)** ***Alexander Robert born 8/20/11, 11:01pm, 8lbs. 2oz. 20.5inches*** **BFP 06/26/2012.. Baby B #2 Due 04/01/2013**
  • If traffic is bad and it is tough to get out otherwise, both.  If traffic is not an issue I would use it to turn into businesses only.  I do think it's annoying when the turn lane gets clogged up from both directions and you can't pull into it, if that is the point one of you is trying to make.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageRileyGrace:

Yep. This.

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in my heart)

Cooper+Evie=Soulmates

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• imagejteneback:
    If traffic is bad and it is tough to get out otherwise, both.  If traffic is not an issue I would use it to turn into businesses only.  I do think it's annoying when the turn lane gets clogged up from both directions and you can't pull into it, if that is the point one of you is trying to make.

Yes, this was the point I was trying to make.  But it looks like overall, I lose this argument.

DH did this twice today (pulling out and using the turn lane to merge).  Both times, people coming up behind us in the driving lanes hit the brakes, honked and one of them gave us the finger.  I think they were both not expecting us to pull out and thought we were going to hit them.  One driver (the one who so nicely gave us the finger) almost got rear-ended because that driver wasn't expecting him to slam on his brakes in response to us.  I just wish DH would have waited an extra 30 seconds until traffic was clear rather than risk an accident.

Thanks ladies!

• imageJennyAnne022776:

imagejteneback:
    If traffic is bad and it is tough to get out otherwise, both.  If traffic is not an issue I would use it to turn into businesses only.  I do think it's annoying when the turn lane gets clogged up from both directions and you can't pull into it, if that is the point one of you is trying to make.

Yes, this was the point I was trying to make.  But it looks like overall, I lose this argument.

DH did this twice today (pulling out and using the turn lane to merge).  Both times, people coming up behind us in the driving lanes hit the brakes, honked and one of them gave us the finger.  I think they were both not expecting us to pull out and thought we were going to hit them.  One driver (the one who so nicely gave us the finger) almost got rear-ended because that driver wasn't expecting him to slam on his brakes in response to us.  I just wish DH would have waited an extra 30 seconds until traffic was clear rather than risk an accident.

Thanks ladies!

Yes, but it the driver that gave u the finger got slammed into, it was becaus ethe person behind him was following too close and that person would be at fault not ur dh. Also if the guy that gave you the finger hit ur DH he might be at fault for failure to yield to merging traffic. I work for a huge insurance company and have for many years. This issue come sup all the time with casualty issues!

• imagemari2003:
    imageJennyAnne022776:

imagejteneback:

Thanks ladies!

Yes, but it the driver that gave u the finger got slammed into, it was becaus ethe person behind him was following too close and that person would be at fault not ur dh. Also if the guy that gave you the finger hit ur DH he might be at fault for failure to yield to merging traffic. I work for a huge insurance company and have for many years. This issue come sup all the time with casualty issues!

Oh, I knew DH wouldn't be cited for the accident.  I guess I was just trying to prevent anyone from having a smashed up vehicle.

Although, since he gave us the finger, maybe I should hope for his vehicle to get smashed up.  Lord knows I'VE never given anyone the finger before. Angel

• I think legally it's only supposed to be used for turning, but people often use it for merging into traffic. I try to avoid that at all costs, but I'll admit that it's happened.
    imageimage
  • imageMrsSummitCounty:
    I think legally it's only supposed to be used for turning, but people often use it for merging into traffic. I try to avoid that at all costs, but I'll admit that it's happened.

I think this is the only opinion I'll show DH. Wink  After all, you're from Ohio, so you would know the laws for our state, correct?!

• imageJennyAnne022776:

imageMrsSummitCounty:
    I think legally it's only supposed to be used for turning, but people often use it for merging into traffic. I try to avoid that at all costs, but I'll admit that it's happened.

I think this is the only opinion I'll show DH. Wink  After all, you're from Ohio, so you would know the laws for our state, correct?!

FWIW, I got a 100% on the written portion of my driver's tests and a 110% on my driver's ed technical test.

<---NERD ALERT!!

imageimage
  • I thought it was illegal to use the middle lane as a merging lane.. I only use it to turn.. MY DH uses it to cross all the lanes instead of waiting..

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • It is for both. Check your driver's book (if you've lost it, you can go to the DMV to get another one)

What is illegal is pulling out of business and driving in the turn lane while waiting to merge into moving traffic.

*runs off to the dmv website to find a source to cite*

My Blog

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    SAIF Always Welcome
    Diagnosed with PCOS: 10/03, On BCP to "treat" until: 7/09
    Provera to end Cycles 1-9 (anovulatory)
    Cycle #4 & 5: Clomid 50 mg FAIL
    RE Visit: 2000 mg Metformin
    Cycle 6:Forced Break, looking for androgen secreting tumor
    Cycle 7:Clomid CD 3-10, 12-17 FAIL
    Cycle 8: Clomid CD 3-10, Bravelle CD 12-24 Hyperstimmed
    New RE: Put on Byetta, lost 23 lbs
    Cycle 9: Financial Break
    Cycle 10: Femara CD 3-7, IUI CD 17 BFP on 2/14/11, m/c 3/7/11
  • JennyAnne,

I believe you are absolutely right, those lanes are for turning off the road, not on to it. I've told off my father several times for misuse of those lanes. It terrifies me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrsSummitCounty:

I think it depends on the state. Here we are allowed to use it for both!

• I just checked the Ohio BMV website and it doesn't address this directly. It just says you can't drive in a lane that's not designated for your traffic pattern.

https://publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/hsy7607.pdf

imageimage
  • imageMrsSummitCounty:

I just checked the Ohio BMV website and it doesn't address this directly. It just says you can't drive in a lane that's not designated for your traffic pattern.

Same here in PA. 

• imagedanamh83:
    imageMrsSummitCounty:

I just checked the Ohio BMV website and it doesn't address this directly. It just says you can't drive in a lane that's not designated for your traffic pattern.

Same here in PA. 

So are ya ladies sayin' I'm kinda right? Big Smile

There is actually some good info here.  I did try to google it and it says that the law varies by state. Hmmm....off to do more research.

ETA: Thanks for the manual!  DH said I would never find it online!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"