Working Moms
Options

Number of kids - changed your mind?

I was the one that pushed for kids, although we both wanted a family, but DH was always wanting to wait. Now that we have our two sweet girls, I am happy as a clam and definitely feel DONE. DH on the other hand talks about adding a third and hinting that he would like a boy. I understand that, I'm sure if we had two boys, I'd want a girl too. BUT, I just feel like our family is complete and I don't think I could handle a third and keep my sanity. Its not a sticking point right now, b/c there is no way we could afford a third until the youngest was at least 3, but I do think about it.

Obviously, I think the "no" person wins out, b/c you shouldn't have a child if both parents aren't in agreement.

What are your thoughts? Are you happy with the size of yoru family? Has that size changed from what you originally thought?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Number of kids - changed your mind?

• Options

We've been in the 1 and Done category for a long time, with a caveat that we wouldn't make a final decision until I was 40, in 4 years.

I like the idea of having another baby, but after almost a year of no sleep which has just started getting better recently, and my crazy work schedule I am not sure another child would not mean both got the crap end of the stick.

We'll see though.

• Options
    I always wanted 3, Dh wanted 2. Now that my youngest is potty training, I have no desire to go back to the "baby" stage and am happy with 2. Also, i really think the chaos from 3 would make my Dh unhappy, since he values peace and order.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I always said I wanted three and DH never really put a number on it.  After we had the twins we both left the door open for more and were blessed with #3.  Even now we are reluctant to totally shut the door on more children.  That may be because we tried for 2.5 years before we had the twins.  It seems wrong somehow to slam the door when we tried soooo hard to get it open.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Options
    I always wanted 0 or 2.  After I had 1, I thought- there is no way in heII I'm going thru this again.  Now that she's over 2, I finally feel ready to try for #2.  I think my DH would be perfectly happy with 1 but all-in-all, I want 2.  I just wish I could adopt an 18 mo old.  I am not a baby-person at all.
  • Options

We're going to stop at 2.  We are both from families with 3 kids, and I love that dynamic.  I think it would just be too much, though.  It sounds crazy with both of us working FT.  We are doing so well now that I am even a little worried that 2 will throw us off. 

• Options

I have wanted 2-3, DH wants 2.  When I was recently pg with potential #2, though, I could see how 2 might be enough.  Now that we lost that pg, I am back in the "3 sounds really nice" side.  I wonder if it has to do with the fact that #2 and #3 are still hypothetical at this point, whereas when it was actually in existence, reality hit a little more?

So I guess we'll just see how we both feel after we've had 2 for a few years.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We are having this discussion now.  I was thinking I wanted 3, DH is ready to stop at 2. Now that DS is 16 months, I do somewhat see the 'balance' of having one boy and one girl.  I grew up with lots of cousins and enjoy the idea of more kids and I love babies, but the financial commitment concerns me along again a decrease in me time. We are visiting family now and my SIL just had her 3rd (she has DD 4, DD 2 and now a DS 5 weeks). I can see how hard it is for them to be out and about anywhere.

I think ultimately where DH and I are landing is that if we were independently wealthy or won the lotto, we'd absolutely have another child, but right now with us working FT, we'd are probably going to stop.

• Options
    Only wanted to have one, surprised with twins - can't imagine life any other way.  I think it is actually hard to be the younger sibling of twins so for that reason and others, we are done.
  • Options
    I always wanted 2-3 kids and DH didn't want any but agreed to 2 so I would marry him. :)  I would love to have a 3rd but DH is totally against it.  I just don't want to look back one day and wish I had more and I don't think I would ever look back and wish I had less.
  • Options
    No, we still want 3-4 kids.  The only thing that has changed is timing.  Since we got married young and started our family young we want to space our kids out more.  With working I can't imagine having a toddler and a baby at the same time.  We want to wait until DD is going to pre-k until we add another to our family. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I always wanted 3 or 4 kids. Well.. I'm there. But.. we still have 5 frozen embryo's so I do feel some obligation to try again. DH wants to be done. There are days I am done and days where I can't imagine not having another baby in my arms. I feel like my boys baby-hood was a fog I can't remember and I sort of feel cheated out of the whole bonding experience because I was so frazzeled with triplets. I really want ONE more. We would only transfer one embryo next time but with my luck it will split into identical twins or something!
  • Options
    I thought I always wanted 3, but we'll see what happens after #2 arrives in May :) DH really just wants 2.  I think DS #1 shocked DH when he arrived (DH wasn't prepared for the lack of sleep, etc).  Although, we are really lucky -- DS #1 is SO wonderful and happy! We hope DS#2 will be the same.....then there would be a chance for baby #3.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I said no when I had a two y/o and 4 m/o too.  LOL!  I couldn't contemplate it until #2 was over 2 and even then, I sometimes am not sure if we can handle it.  It's definitely not something I'd decide when my youngest was 4 mos old.  But, all in all, I think I'm not happy with the size of our family.  I don't feel done at all and if I found out I was PG tomorrow I'd be happy (we are not TTC right now).  The size of family that I desire has changed over the years.  But, DH and I both come from families with 3 children, so that number seems pretty natural for us.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options
    I always thought I wanted 2 but now I feel like it's one and done.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I would have happily had three or four children, but DH felt strongly about stopping at two.  I tried for a year to convince him and ultimately decided the person who wants fewer should decide since it's a baby we are talking about!  I wax nostalgic every now and again, but I love my DH and he's a great dad to our kids so it was the right (but very hard) decision for me.
  • Options

I have always wanted 3 or 4 and still think 3 would be my ideal number.  But it does get more complicated when I look at DS.  He is so wonderful and I feel so lucky to have him that I can't imagine that I could ever want anything more.  I could never before imagine having one child, but now with DS I can totally imagine it.  He is enough because he is just so wonderful (I know that all of you moms know what I mean).

That said, I think if baby #2 is a girl, we would probably stop.  I think I would still want a third baby, but it would feel like we were getting greedy or something.  Two healthy kids, if we have them, what an amazing miracle.  I think that if we have a DS #2, that we might try for #3 or adopt #3.  I really would like a little girl, and that would be a good excuse to have the #3 child I always wanted.  I would be delighted for DS to have a brother or two brothers, for that matter, so no matter what I will be happy.

I think this all makes more sense in my head than written out!   Bottom line, I think each baby is a miracle, so I a just glad to have DS and will be so grateful for whoever else comes along next.

• Options
    I always wanted 3-4...then I actually had a child and thought better of it! Lol. But I would have still loved to have 3. DH wanted 2. Well we had to go through IF treatments for both boys and we dont want to do that again. So we have decided that we are done. And I am happy with that decision. I would love a 3rd, but wish I could give birth to a 1 year old! (I am not sure I could do another newborn!!)
  • Options
    The size has changed from what we originally planned.  We both planned for 3 as we are both from families of 3 and thought it worked well.  Now DS is here, we kind of feel more and more done.  I honestly think we would feel the same if we had another girl.  Both of our kids are great kids -- sweet,  happy as can be, easy-going.  But with 2 demanding jobs, the work at home with 2 small kids, the fact we cannot wait too long due to our ages, etc., we are just becoming more and more happy with the idea of a family of4.  It just works better from an overall practical sense, financially, work-wise, etc.  We may change our minds down the road but that's where we are for now.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options
    We orginally wanted one and got blessed with two. When I was pregnant I always said that I was done after this. Now that the girls are getting bigger and are SO easy, another one would be great. I want to wait until the girls are at least two. I am afraid that the third child will be left out since they girls are twins and already have a connection.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"