Cincinnati Babies

Ectopic pregnancy???

I am new to this board and need some help.  We just found out on monday that we were pregnant and then on tuesday I started having some cramping on the right side. I went to the dr and they did an u/s and said they did not see anything in the uterus and that it was probably ectopic.  They drew a beta level and it was 305.  I am somewhere in between 5-7 weeks.  I went back this morning and had another beta drawn and they will call me later today to let me know.  They said if it doesn't double and it is ectopic that I will have to go to good sam ER and get a drug called methotrexate but I read that it can have some nasty side effects so I am kind of scared about it.  I was wondering if anyone has ever been through this before??  We are not telling anyone because we are so upset and have a whirlwind of emotions running through us right now so there isn't really anyone to talk to. 

This was our first month TTC so I am trying to think positive but it still completely sucks!  Do you have to wait a long time before you TTC again?  I have so many questions but never got a chance to ask then when I was at the dr because I was such a wreck!  Any advice would be much appreciated!

Re: Ectopic pregnancy???

• I don't know anything about Ectopic pregnancies, but my heart goes right out to you.  I'll keep praying that it isn't ectopic for you.  I got pregant on my first try last summer and lost it to a m/c.  In my case, I was able to try after my first full cycle. I'm not sure if that's the same in your case.

thoughts and prayers for you and your husband.  Hang in there. 

• There is another lady on this board who just went through an ectopic pregnancy. I can't remember her S/N but maybe someone else will and you can page her. I am sure she wouldn't mind helping you through it.

I am sorry for your news, I will be thinking of you and your DH.

6/28/10: Lost our sweet baby Addyston at 18wk 1day to pPROM 7/24/11: Michael William born at 24wk 2d due to IC after an emergent cerclage at 18wks, 4wk home BR and 2 weeks hospital BR. Grow strong our little Miracle! 9/17/11: Michael joined his sister in heaven after 8 amazing weeks with us on earth. He fought a very hard fight but NEC was too much for him in the end. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Welcome to the board...I'm sorry you have to join us this way.

I'm just finishing up my ordeal with an ectopic, so unfortunately on the Cinci board I'm your lady to ask questions to :(  I'm drawing a blank on if any others here have had one as well, but I know I'm the most recent.

My situation was a little different.  I had a - pregnancy test on November 9, and started what I assumed to be my period on the 10th.  It was normal.  Then had some abnormal bleeding on days 10-14 of my cycle.  Went to the Dr. to see what was wrong and found out I was pregnant. Turns out I got pregnant in October and didn't know it.  That was on a Tuesday and my beta was 832.  We had no idea it was ectopic then.  The day after Thanksgiving (4 days after we found out) I had extreme pain and some bleeding.  We went to the ER, my beta was over 3300 then.  So they did an ultrasound and found nothing in my uterus and saw something in my right tube. With that beta and nothing in the uterus we knew it was ectopic.  I ended up having surgery the next day.  I then also had to get the methotrexate because my beta's weren't dropping quick enough.

Methotrexate is a chemo drug, so it's serious stuff but I didn't have any major problems with it. I got the shot in my butt (fun!) on Dec. 10th and was a little nauseous for a few days, then started bleeding about 4 days later and that lasted about a week.  It wasn't really much heavier than a period, but was filled with more clots.  Your experience may be different since I had the surgery to remove most of the pregnancy.

My beta was 1385 the day I had the shot, so I had a lot further to drop than you might since you've caught it earlier than I did and your numbers are lower.  I just got down to 10 this week and it's a month post op. 

I have to wait until March to TTC again, so that's about 3 months from when we found out it was ectopic.  They want to make sure you wait long enough to give your body time to get the drug out of your system, since it interferes with cell replication.  If you were to get pregnant again and have it in your sytem it could cause birth defects.

Is it at all possible that you have your dates off and are not as pregnant as you think you are?  Just wondering because from my understanding they cannot see anything on ultrasound until your beta is 2000.  So even if you do have a healthy pregnancy you wouldn't see anything anyways with your beta #.  I hope this turns out to be the case and you have a happy healthy pregnancy.  If not, hang in there, and the girls and myself will be here for you!  Feel free to ask any other questions you've got and I'll do my best to help.

Also do not underestimate how much you know your body, if it's ectopic you do not want to rish rupturing, so get to an ER if you are in pain.  Make sure you update us when you get some news.

• Thank you so much for all that information.  It is very helpful.  I have felt lost not knowing anyone who has experienced this and I was keeping far from the internet for information.  About the dates, I had originally though I started on Nov 12th, but then when I saw my doctor a few weeks later to talk about TTC I realized I really started on the 19th or 20th.  It may be too much info but I always have a little pre-period week.  When I went tuesday I told them the 12th not thinking right and never thought about it until my husband and I were talking last night.  So, I'm not sure what to think...I was waiting until the dr called this afternoon to talk about it.

Now my rt side has been hurting since wed morning but it isn't excruciating pain.  I get a pain in my right side every once in a while and have had it checked out before.  The weird thing is it literally didn't start hurting until the day after I found out.

Hopefull it is the slim 10% that the dr was talking about and I am just way earlier than I think!  I will keep you all updated!  Thank you so much!

• imageKelli03:

Now my rt side has been hurting since wed morning but it isn't excruciating pain.  I get a pain in my right side every once in a while and have had it checked out before.  The weird thing is it literally didn't start hurting until the day after I found out.

It's not weird at all...I had no idea I was pregnant until I found out at the Dr's office.  Then in the day or so after that I started feeling weird pains and just assumed I was imagining things because I knew I was pregnant.

Also the symptoms I had were not "typical" of an ectopic.  The day we found out that's what is was I had a sharp pains on my left side and then more menstrual like cramping.  The OB on call said the pain wouldn't change like mine was and to rest over the weekend.  I didn't listen to her and went to the ER anways.  My pregnancy was in the right tube, not the left...so my pain didn't make any sense at all, so it was a good thing I didn't listen to the Dr!

• So sorry to hear this. Hope you heal quickly!
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Hopefully you're just really early.  Klmorgan is right, we can't see anything on ultrasound until betas are upwards of 2000.  Even if everything is completely normal we're not going to see anything with a beta of 305.  I'm sending you positive vibes that they'll double.  Good luck!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"