Indiana Babies

Mastisis/Clogged duct

My boobs have something against me, yesterday I noticed the beginning of a clog duct and started massaging it while pumping.  Last night I took my temp and it was 101.6.  So I did the warm compress and continue to massage with each pumping session.  Today my temp is down to 100.75.

Is there anything else I should be doing??  When is it appropriate to call the dr?

Just how I wanted to spend new years eve, feeling like poo :(

TIA

Re: Mastisis/Clogged duct

• Is that breast red?  When I had mastitis I had a fever and what I thought was a clogged duct at first then my breast started turning red and feeling really hot to the touch.  I went on antibiotics then and I think I caught it early enough to not get really bad.  I would call the doctor with the holiday and weekend coming just to be sure.
    Deleted
  • This!  Don't mess around if it is mastatis.  I had it and it was awful.  Within 24 or so hours on the antibiotic though it was much much better.

Sorry you are going through this!

imagesarahann1941:
    Is that breast red?  When I had mastitis I had a fever and what I thought was a clogged duct at first then my breast started turning red and feeling really hot to the touch.  I went on antibiotics then and I think I caught it early enough to not get really bad.  I would call the doctor with the holiday and weekend coming just to be sure.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry that you feel like your breasts are against you.  I felt the same way...thrush twice, mastitis, baby wouldn't latch, oversupply...I had a hell of a time.  Just know that you will get this figured out and it will get better.  You are quite the trooper and your little baby is lucky to have a mommy this dedicated to bfing.

I totally ditto that you do not want to mess around with mastitis.  It is so awful and it will get worse if you don't get on antibiotics.  I felt a million times better after two doses of antibiotics and 100% better in two days.

I've pimped her on here a couple of times but I had them most amazing help (in person once and over the phone several times) by an independent lactation consultant in town. I know you aren't in Bloomington but she is very helpful over the phone.  https://www.nurturingmothers.com/  I would definitely not still be bfing if it wasn't for her.

• ((Hugs))

are you using massage oil?  that helped me a lot w/ working the clogged duct out.

if you go on antibiotics, pick up some probiotics at the natural food store/whole foods to prevent thrush.  you have to take it a couple hours after you take the abx or else they will just kill the probiotics off.

Jen & T.J. 6.17.06 BabyBlog * my chart *
    Joseph Henry was born at home on March 9, 2009
    Nora Mae was born at home on October 30, 2011
  • Thanks ladies.  My fever has continued to go down so hopefully this is just a clogged duct and not mastisis.  My breast is not red nor does it have red streaks like I read it could. 

Jen, I'll have to try the massage oil, I think I do have some around.

Again why does something so natural have to be so difficult and have so many obstacles!!

• I'd still have the script called in.  It can get really bad really quickly, so at least you could have it on hand.  One of the sickest times I ever felt in my life was with mastitis. 
  • oh no!! I hope it gets better :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"