Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Similac Sensitive vs. Enfamil Gentlease

So after my soy scare we are going to go back and try regular formula again.

Has anyone had experience with these?  ANy difference?

We tried Gentlease right when he was born but never tried it while he was on reflux meds.

Re: Similac Sensitive vs. Enfamil Gentlease

• We switched to S. Sensitive this morning.

If this doesn't work, we're going to the expensive stuff (the non-dairy, non-soy).

• My son was just diagnosed with AR yesterday after being in the hospital for 36 hours and being sent to Childrens Hospital and the Pediatrican at Childrens mentioned that Similac makes one called AR (obviously ar is for acid reflux) if I wanted to stop pumping and give him formula...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO is being supplemented with similac sensitive for no reason other than that's what the hospital put him on (my milk was very slow to come in, and is still low).

He hasn't had any problem with it so far, and he gulps it down like a champ.  I can switch between breastmilk and formula and he doesn't flinch, so the taste must be okay.  He rarely spits up and his dirty diapers don't smell horrible like with some formulas.

I think the gentlease has more DHA in it, but I don't think there is any scientific evidence that the higher level of DHA actually does anything for them.

I will say that the similac sensitive powder gets VERY FOAMY when you shake it up as the directions say.  We have better luck mixing it with a spoon and letting it sit for a while in the fridge to settle.  I know this is common with formula, but the sensitive seems to be worse.

DS 12/09, Twins EDD 11/11
  • imageAggieGrl:

I will say that the similac sensitive powder gets VERY FOAMY when you shake it up as the directions say.  We have better luck mixing it with a spoon and letting it sit for a while in the fridge to settle.  I know this is common with formula, but the sensitive seems to be worse.

thanks, I'll keep this in mind - we're using Sensitive RTF right now, but if we switch to powder, I think I'll grab a formula mixer vs shaking.

• imageBlairWaldorf:

We switched to S. Sensitive this morning.

If this doesn't work, we're going to the expensive stuff (the non-dairy, non-soy).

Sorry Blair I am clueless on this stuff, what is the difference betwen Similac Sensitve and soy?  Just that there is soy proteins in soy?

What is the non-dairy, non soy?

• Also....similac sensitive is "lactose free," while enfamil gentlease is "reduced lactose" at 1/5th the levels of regular formula.  If your LO is really sensitive to lactose, that may make your decision easier.
    DS 12/09, Twins EDD 11/11
  • imagei*heart*him:
    imageBlairWaldorf:

Sorry Blair I am clueless on this stuff, what is the difference betwen Similac Sensitve and soy?  Just that there is soy proteins in soy?

Sensitive is milk-based, which soy is not.  So soy is for those with lactose-intolerance or a milk allergy.

A non-dairy, non-soy is for those few babies that have an intolerence to the protiens in both milk & soy.  For those kids, Similac makes another formula called Altimetum or you can do Enfamil's Nutrimegan.

• imageBlairWaldorf:
    imagei*heart*him:
    imageBlairWaldorf:

Sensitive is milk-based, which soy is not.  So soy is for those with lactose-intolerance or a milk allergy.

A non-dairy, non-soy is for those few babies that have an intolerence to the protiens in both milk & soy.  For those kids, Similac makes another formula called Altimetum or you can do Enfamil's Nutrimegan.

got it! Thanks!
  • imageBlairWaldorf:
    imageAggieGrl:

thanks, I'll keep this in mind - we're using Sensitive RTF right now, but if we switch to powder, I think I'll grab a formula mixer vs shaking.

If you put a few gas drops in the bottle before you shake it, its not foamy at all. 

Annelise 3.22.2007 Norah 10.24.2009 Amelia 8.7.2011
  • We use Enfamil Gentlease because she had painful gas on Enfamil Lipil Premium. Well, we use Gentlease at home, in the powder version, and when we're out we use Similac Sensitive in the ready-to-drink 8 oz bottles, simply because I have never seen ready-to-drink Gentlease in the little bottles. She does great with both.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"