Preemies
Options

Anyone have thrush while in the NICU?

I am pretty sure that I have thrush and have an appt with my doctor tomorrow to see what he says about it. DS is 35 weeks adjusted and still having all of his feedings through the NG tube, but we did start nursing once a day this week. If you had thrush while your LO was still in the NICU what did they do about your milk? Were you still able to freeze what you pumped while you had it? Did your LO have to have any medication? I googled thrush quickly and everything I read about how hard it is to get rid of makes me want to cry. Do I really have to boil my pump parts every single time I pump? 

Re: Anyone have thrush while in the NICU?

• Options
    I had thrush during my NICU time, but it was only in my mouth.  I can only give you hope in the area of treatment, since I was prescribed an oral anti-fungal pill and it cleared up very quickly.  My mouth was disgusting and painful, so I am very sorry for you to have this on your breasts/nipples when you are trying to nurse your LO.  There was no risk of transfer from me to DD, but I would talk to the LC, if I was you.  GL!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

We got it, HORRIBLY, all of us were treated (I have twins), however my girls had a hard time getting rid of it, I was fine in a couple days...we still nursed and they could still eat my pumped BM, HOWEVER I had to used the steralization bags by Medela after every time I pumped. My NICU gave me TONS of free bags and 2 more sets of pump parts (we all got 2 when our LOs were admitted, in addition to the 2 sets I had from my hospital where I delievered) to make this a little easier (finding a microwave around there was sometimes hard, so I had to steralize at home). We all too fluconazle, they can use gentianviolet (spelling is probably wrong)..cures it fast, but leaves a bluish tint in LOs mouth. My girls had it HORRIBLY, so bad that it was GROWING On their feeding tubes, our NICU said they had NEVER seen that before, it was disgusting. Kept us in the hospital 3 more weeks, I had to pitch a fit over how long it was taking to get this cleared up and I suggested hte theory that it could be growing on their NG tubes, b/c it would seem cleared up and then flare up in them again, but I wasn't getting it. So odd.

GL.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"