Trouble TTC

PCOS and Metformine users....

I am letting you know that last night I took a breastfeeding  class and the nurse told me that women with PCOS can have trouble with milk supply. She told me to talk to the doc about metformin. I expalined that I was on it for 2 years, untill week 13 of pregnancy. She wondered why they ever took me off.. I developed gestational diabetes during week 24... Metformin would have helped this.. So I am just letting you know this, so when you do get pregnant (which you will)... Talk to the doctor about staying on metformin. For the sake it may help with GD and your milk... here is the website if you want to read more about it....

https://www.mobimotherhood.org/MM/article-pcos.aspx

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers After years of struggling with infertility issues (PCOS since I was 16) and 15 medicated cycles we finally got blessed with our son. We got lucky with our 7th IUI using stims...Now we are back on the roller coaster to try for another miracle..IVF cycle in May resulted in a chemical pregnancy. 2 snowbabies FET 7/16-transferred 2 blastocyst...Faint bfp 4dp5dt! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: PCOS and Metformine users....

• Thanks for the info.  I took prednisone for a year and developed diabetes.  I went off the prednisone and lost 30 lbs and no longer needed diabetes meds.  I know I will have to watch it when I'm pg. 
  • Thanks for the tip!  It seems like a lot of doctor's take expectant mother's off Metformin after the 3rd month of pregnancy...

I've been on Metformin since May with no real side effects but also no real improvement either.  I'm taking it twice a day in the 50 mg dose.  I don't experience any crazy effects (I've read some crazy stories from other women online) but the one thing that is awful is that I am always SO thirsty and I can barely drink a 1/2 glass of wine without feeling it the next morning. 

Hopefully it will work sooner rather than later!!

• Loading the player...
  • Just an FYI, you don't need to "ask" about staying on Metformin. You can TELL them you're remaining on it. I refused to stop after doing a ton of research (there's absolutely NO harm to the baby both in utero or through breastfeeding). I even had an out of hospital birth and my midwife was completely fine with this after verifying my Rx was not for GD or regular D.

I am so happy that I have stayed on - none of the "coming off" or "going on" crap. Metformin really helps me in general (digestively speaking) and that's why I stayed on.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"