Indiana Babies
Options

Thoughts on a weekend after Thanksgiving wedding

Good idea or bad idea?  A friend of mine at work did it (before I knew her), and she loved it because her family was able to come for several days.  I know some of my friends may not come because of it, but most of them have local families. 

Most of my family is from South Dakota and Todd's is from the East coast, so they are going to have major traveling to do.  I also really want my college age cousins from Texas to be in it.  I'd rather not do summer because I will be finishing up grad school and my family that farms will be really busy.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Thoughts on a weekend after Thanksgiving wedding

• Options

I forgot to mention we'd stay somewhere nice over the wedding weekend, then wait to take our honeymoon on Christmas break when I have 2 weeks off.

I'm thinking 5:30 on Saturday to also allow people more time to get here/be back in town.

• Options

Just a personal opinion, but as a wedding guest, I really dislike weddings on holiday weekends.  I know it makes it easy on the bride and groom, but it's pretty hard for the guests.  Travel and hotels can also be more expensive.

The weekend is usually busy anyway and adding another event on an already packed weekend makes it extra difficult to attend.  The same goes for any of the other weekend or extended holidays (Labor Day, Memorial Day, NYE).   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My brother had his wedding the weekend after Thanksgiving and it worked out just fine. Our family is all out of town and they still had a good turn out.
  • Options
    we had our wedding the weekend after Christmas and I thought it worked out fine, our guests may not have thought so though!
  • Options
    imageIU_baby:

Just a personal opinion, but as a wedding guest, I really dislike weddings on holiday weekends.  I know it makes it easy on the bride and groom, but it's pretty hard for the guests.  Travel and hotels can also be more expensive.

The weekend is usually busy anyway and adding another event on an already packed weekend makes it extra difficult to attend.  The same goes for any of the other weekend or extended holidays (Labor Day, Memorial Day, NYE).   

I agree with this.  A friend of mine had her wedding Labor Day weekend and we had to pay 2x normal for the hotel.  We still went, but it was irritating.

• Options
    I would think hotels would be cheaper Thanksgiving weekend since most people stay with family?  I do agree that airfare won't be cheap, but I'm guessing a lot of our guests will drive.
  • Options
    From working at a hotel for 8 years, we never had higher prices on Thanksgiving and Christmas weekends. We were actually slower on these days and had discounts.
  • Options
    dislike!
  • Options
    I guess it would depend on your families.  If most of them would be traveling into Indy for the holidays, it would be nice.  But if most of them don't come into Indy, it would be not fun.  Plus, I think it would be a really stressful week.  For me, it wouldn't work because we do my mom's side of the family for Thanksgiving the weekend after.  If you decide to do it then, I'd give plenty of advance warning....like send out Save the Dates by mid January.
  • Options
    Also, on the farm side, we were never that busy in the summer unless we did winter wheat and then it had to be harvested in June/July...usually right around the 4th of July.  The fall was tricky because we sometimes still had crops in the fields on Thanksgiving Day.  I know a lot of farmers had crops in the fields until the first of December this year.  So summer--late July and August for sure--would have been better for my family that farms. 
  • Options

We may stick with it--I figure if it's important enough for people to come, they will make it.  I guess my bigger concern is that our families can get here and spend time with us because we don't see them often--most have 10-15 hour drives.  It would be fun to have the family together for Thanksgiving, or they could just come later in the week.  I also have Wed-Friday off of work. One of my friends had hers the same weekend and it worked out perfectly.

I looked at my cousins in Texas' school schedule (they'll be bridesmaids), and they don't have a fall break so the only other option would be over Christmas which I don't think is any better--especially if the weather gets bad.  We also have good family friends from Pennsylvania whose daughters I want in the wedding that come every Thanksgiving, so they wouldn't have to drive out twice.  The other two friends I'd have in the wedding plus my future sister in law all stay in town for Thanksgiving.   

• Options

I went to a wedding the Saturday after Thanksgiving last year, and it worked out great.  I think as long as you send out Save the Dates, those who planned to come will make it whenever you have it. 

Amy

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"