Working Moms
Options

For those expecting #2...

Is there anything you laugh about and would change when you have #2?

For example: DH and I laugh that we used to turn on the big light in our sons bedroom to change him in the middle of the night -- when he was only a few weeks old.  The poor kid probably thought he was being interrogated!! 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: For those expecting #2...

• Options

There are so many things that I was worried about with DS, I can laugh now that I know better.  So, with #2, I will definitely go with the flow more, and understand that things will get better with time.

An example would be cosleeping - we coslept until DS was about 4 months old.  I was so worried he would never sleep in his crib.  He transitioned just fine!

• Options
    imageShauna07:

For example: DH and I laugh that we used to turn on the big light in our sons bedroom to change him in the middle of the night -- when he was only a few weeks old.  The poor kid probably thought he was being interrogated!! 

That's hilarious.  We did the same thing.  We were totally clueless.  No wonder it took to long to get him back to sleep. :)  I can't think of anything right now, but I am SURE as we get closer we are going to remember other ridiculous things we did.

I agree with the pp, I am definitely going to be more go with the flow this time.  I stressed so much, especially about BFing and DS's weight gain.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I want to be so much more laid back this time.

I had DH install a dimmer so we wouldn't have to have the light on full for night changes. DD has actually never slept in a completely dark room, we still use the dimmer.

I plan on being more active in the early months. I was so afraid to leave the house with DD that we spent pretty much the whole summer inside/at home. No way can I do that to my toddler. Baby will have to just hang out in the sling while big sis has fun ~ zoo, children's museum, walks, etc. Definitely lost the parenting fear!

• Options

Not really.  Just go with the flow more. 

However, it wasn't #2 that threw me for a loop, it was #1.  I forgot how easy infants are/were - it's the toddler that drives you crazy while lacking sleep!

• Options
    I agree, you realize how easy a baby is when compared to a toddler! My DD2 is so laid-back and I'm so much more easy-going - probably b/c I just don't have to time to worry about things as much and because I know what I'm doing more. I keep wondering why I thought it was so hard just having 1!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I had #2 in July and there are SO many things we laugh about... First and foremost, we laugh at how hard we thought it was with just one child! Now we honestly look back and can't figure out what was so difficult about it, there was 1 kid, 2 of us -- what were we complaining about?? :)

I also laugh at my obsession with getting ODD on a schedule. It stressed me out for the first 6 months of her life that she wasn't napping at consistent times, eating at consistent times, etc. Now I know that these things work themselves out as babies get older and I'm not so worried about that with YDD. She will get on a schedule when she's ready and for now we're just going with the flow.

• Options
    imagejays_bride:

I plan on being more active in the early months. I was so afraid to leave the house with DD that we spent pretty much the whole summer inside/at home. No way can I do that to my toddler. Baby will have to just hang out in the sling while big sis has fun ~ zoo, children's museum, walks, etc. Definitely lost the parenting fear!

This is so true! My LO was at the zoo at 5-days-old, the beach at a week old,etc, because I just could not take being trapped in the house with my ODD any longer! Unless you're willing to keep your older child in the house until the baby is 3-months-old or whatever, you just have to let go of your fears and take the little one out! The good thing is at that age they're so portable anyway, LO would just sleep wherever we went! Now that she's 5 months it's a little more of a challenge because she's not as content just sitting in her car seat or carrier, but isn't big enough to be out crawling around yet!

• Options
    imageLisa419:

There are so many things that I was worried about with DS, I can laugh now that I know better.  So, with #2, I will definitely go with the flow more, and understand that things will get better with time.

An example would be cosleeping - we coslept until DS was about 4 months old.  I was so worried he would never sleep in his crib.  He transitioned just fine!

This exactly. I was so freaked out when DS wouldn't sleep by himself, convinced that he would be in our bed until he was 18. What a dummy. I'm looking forward to being waaaay more laid back when baby #2 arrives.

P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"