High-Risk Pregnancy

New GD member and no class until Monday

So I was just diagnosed with GD today and my class with the dietician and RN does not start until Monday.  They gave me some very rough guidelines to follow between now and then but I am definately wondering what I am going to eat for the next week.  My biggest problem is that I am kind of a picky eater.  Any suggestions would help - I am trying not to totally freak Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: New GD member and no class until Monday

• Eat smaller meals and watch your carbs.  Instead of 3 big meals, have breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack - so that you are eating 6 times a day.  My guidelines are: 30 grams of carbs per snack and 50 grams per meal.  Don't freak - once you get your personal guidelines and start testing your blood, it will give you a good idea of what you need to do.  I know what you mean about being a picky eater - i'm a vegetarian so it's been difficult finding low-carb meals and snacks.  Maybe go to the store and get some multigrain breads and crackers, peanut butter, cheese, nuts - things you like that are lower carb.

• And can I get the carb amounts in foods right from the labels?  Is the number I am looking for Total Carbs on the label?  This is probably a dumb question, but I just want to make sure I am looking at the right number.

• Loading the player...
  • Also take in extra protein. For me that was really key, but that's because I was by no means a meat eater. I could go days with out it at all. So I stick to my carb count (30g at breakfast, 45g at Lunch & dinner, 15g at snacks) and add meats, cheese, PB, something with more protein to help counter act. I actually had to cut back on my fruit & veggie intake too!

GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Add yes, you are looking for the "total carb" number. It's not a dumb question, some people just don't know!
  • imageKie310:
    Add yes, you are looking for the "total carb" number. It's not a dumb question, some people just don't know!

If the food has more then 5 grams of dietary fiber in it, you can subtract that from the overall carb number as well.

Lilypie Maternity tickers ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagejksweets:

imageKie310:
    Add yes, you are looking for the "total carb" number. It's not a dumb question, some people just don't know!

If the food has more then 5 grams of dietary fiber in it, you can subtract that from the overall carb number as well.

True! I always forget about that :)

• Yes, when looking at labels, look at protein and fiber too.  I test much better with a grilled cheese made with multigrain bread than one made with white bread.  Little things like that can make a huge difference.
  • imageella.mabel:
    Yes, when looking at labels, look at protein and fiber too.  I test much better with a grilled cheese made with multigrain bread than one made with white bread.  Little things like that can make a huge difference.

So true! I only use Weight Watchers Whole Wheat bread. 2 slices of that is the same as 1 slice of most other wheat breads

• Thanks for all of the great information.

I saw the mention of the Weight Watchers Whole Wheat bread.  Does this have seeds and grains in it - I have a very hard time eating bread that has "stuff" in it.  I would prefer a "smooth" bread.  If anyone can suggest other breads that are low carb, high fiber but are "smooth" that would be great.

• imagemarsh1128:

Thanks for all of the great information.

I saw the mention of the Weight Watchers Whole Wheat bread.  Does this have seeds and grains in it - I have a very hard time eating bread that has "stuff" in it.  I would prefer a "smooth" bread.  If anyone can suggest other breads that are low carb, high fiber but are "smooth" that would be great.

There is nothing in it. It's just regular wheat bread. what makes it "better" is that they add more fiber to it.

• Perfect - thanks!  I will try it out.

• I'm in the same boat, Marsh.  I was just diagnosed with GD (actually, the nurse on the phone told me I was fine, then my midwife broke the news to me yesterday that she was mistaken, we don't know how this happened, etc.).

My class with my dietitian isn't until next Tuesday, and our shopping trip was a doozy yesterday.  Trying to find meat and veggies when I'm much happier with fruits and grains was annoying.  For now I'm doing the same: just sticking to general carb guidelines to jumpstart and hopefully help my levels.

Don't worry about totally freaking.  Lord knows I have.  But it is kind of nice to take control of your diet and actually feel productive and good to your LO.  It's only for a few more weeks; we can do it. Yes

• imagemarsh1128:
    And can I get the carb amounts in foods right from the labels?  Is the number I am looking for Total Carbs on the label?  This is probably a dumb question, but I just want to make sure I am looking at the right number.

Yes, just be sure to note the portion size too.  You'd be surprised what the serving size is for many items.

My GD counselor also lets me subtract 1/2 of the fiber grams from the total net carbs...so higher fiber foods give you more bang for your buck!  For example, I get wheat low-carb tortillas which have 12 g/carb but 8g/fiber so the net carbs are only 8 g/carb (12-(8/2)=8).  So I'll have two in the morning with scrambled eggs with cheese and glass of milk for my 30 g/carb alotment.

• I'm in the same boat, I just found out today I have GD, and am waiting to hear from the endocrinologist to make an appointment. GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"