Birth Stories
Options

Early delivery with c-section

Sorry this is a bit late, things have been super hectic. I just thought I would post this as I know people like to read them.

On Friday 18th December I had been feeling great- I had been entertaining visitors, cleaning the house and was finally resting on the couch with an iceblock at 4pm. I got up to go to the toilet and when I looked down there was blood everywhere .I went into shock for a few minutes, shaking and not able to react. I finally grabbed the phone but took ages to dial my midwife's number as I couldn't remember how to use the phone! She instructed me to go to the hospital straight away and she would meet me there. I rang my husband at work and so he rushed home to take me to the hospital. We got to the hospital at 4:45 and were taken directly into a monitoring room.

The baby was showing some signs of distress, so I was prepped with an IV line and blood samples were taken. As I was supposed to be having a c-section on the 31st December, I had done a lot of paperwork already and the decision was made to proceed to c-section as I was losing a lot of blood, which was a suspected placental abruption.

I got to theatre and had the spinal put in. This was the worst part of my c-section experience as I had ripped a ligament in my hip and was due for a hip arthroscopy, which was not performed due to me being pregnant, and every time they put the spinal needle in my leg spasmed with pain and kicked out by itself. After seven attemps and twelve shots of local aneasthetic, the spinal was finally in and I felt my legs go all warm and numb.

My husband was called in to theatre and sat beside my head. At 6:55pm Lucas William was brought into the world weighing 7lb 11oz. The placenta had ruptured as suspected, but he was fine. The whole process took just under three hours from start to finish, and suddenly we were parents!

Perhaps the most exciting part of this is that my real life labour buddy had gone into labour at 11am that same morning, and her daughter was born an hour and five minutes after Lucas, weighing only one ounce less. We were given adjoining rooms for recuperation and it is amazing that we both had our babies so close together- I have no idea what the odds are of that happening but it was very reassuring to have my friend there and go through the first few days together.

Here are some photos of my wee man.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Early delivery with c-section

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"