Baby Showers

Online Baby Shower?

Hi there and merrrrrrrrrry Christmas!!!

My DH's cousin is pregnant and lives in Japan (dh in military). Its too expensive for her to fly back to CA and the last time she went she was so uncomfortable and swelled more than expected....I think she is a little bummed about not having a baby shower. Im in Germany (military) and googled around for an online baby shower but nothing seemed to jump out at me. Do any of you ladies have thoughts? Is this a silly idea? Her whole family (minus my husband and I) and husbands family is in California....hopefully this post makes sense. Let me know if you have any ideas or thoughts!

Thanks so much

Ashley

Need a good read? There's a new blogger in town... www.thepinningmama.com Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Online Baby Shower?

• btw I may not reply to this but thats bc I am asleep...Ill be sure to check back tomorrow! Thanks :)
    Need a good read? There's a new blogger in town... www.thepinningmama.com Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think on-line showers are grabby. There is no socializing and there is no sharing in the joy of the baby, basically all it is about is people buying a bunch of gifts and sending them off in the mail. There is no personal interaction and no sharing in the celebration, just gifts. I feel that if people wanted to send her gifts they would do so on their own accord and not because someone sent them an e-mail telling them to make sure that if they want to send a gift that it get there by a certain date. Also nothing is more boring than watching someone over a computer screen open gifts. 

I think it is only natural for people to want to have a shower but a shower is a gift and not something that she is entitled to. I am sure that she has friends there in Japan who could give her a shower.  

• Loading the player...
  • For this situation it could be fun.  Maybe all the Cali folks can get together in one place and set up and webcam and then she could do the same from her location.

Could she possibly be coming home after LO is born?  Maybe you guys could do a Meet the Baby shower at a later date.

• I know some people might these as grabby, but I think it's how your family will see it that counts.

For what it's worth, I think the fact that this couple is in Japan b/c DH is in the military, as opposed to someone who lives a few hours away and doesn't want to travel, makes it even more OK to have an online shower.

Would you be doing this via skype?  Would people be shipping gifts over there?  You would need to give folks specific instructions on how to get gifts over there.  

Perhaps a way to keep it festive is by mailing baby shower banners to all 3 locations (Cali, Germany and Japan) and have everyone hang them in the background during the video conference.  Maybe have all the ladies share advice with the mom-to-be, so everyone is not just sitting there staring at a screen. 

Good luck! 

• It's awesome you are thinking of her and want to do something!  I would ask her what she thinks about it.  It could make her feel even farther away or she might totally love it!!  Smile  Either way I am sure she'll appreciate the thought you put in
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think doing something via Skype would be a lot of fun.  I think it's a great idea.  Just have her register online and let everyone know where she's registering in the invite (or evite).
    PCOS, lupus anticoagulant, MTHFR (A1298C, one copy) 2 IUIs & 1 IVF = BFN FET#1 = It's a girl! Born 7.1.10 FET#2 = c/p FET#3 = Twin girls! Born on 3.16.12 at 33w2d due to severe pre-E. After 4 weeks in the NICU they are home! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"