LGBT Parenting
Options

GLBT parenting groups

If/when you have children will your family join a GLBT family organization?  If not, why?

Does one exist in your area?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: GLBT parenting groups

• Options
    Happy Holidays 2brides!! My partner and I have joined the proud parenting group for the chicago area recently and are searching for addtn'l groups. We've participated in out and proud chicago for the past few years with our God children so we've gotten to know a lot of the GLBT parents already!! We can't wait to have our own bundle of joy this May to show off at the family pride events! Parents always assumed that our God Children were our kids and would try to hook up play dates but we would always correct them, so we can hardly wait to accept the invitations!!
  • Options
    We belong to a lesbian moms play group in our area. I signed up immediatly upon getting licensed b/c its very important to me that my children never feel like the only ones w/ two moms.  the glbt community has always been a source of strength for me and I'd like to provide my kids with the same opportunity.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm a co-coordinator of our local Maybe Baby group, for LGBTQ people considering/planning for parenthood.

We are loosely affiliated with the local Rainbow Families group. C and I also know the co-coordinator for that who's invited me to get involved as a way to promote my business. I'm on their email list, but I don't think I'll attend events--other than perhaps as a volunteer or a customer at their fundraiser--until we have our own. Then, we definitely will for reasons similar to CT and I'm looking forward to the monthly events.

Met 07/07/05, Wedding 07/07/07, Legal Marriage Ceremony 12/9/12, Baby Boy Born 08/09/13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    There isn't one near us :-( We want to join one so badly. I may have to start one myself, it woudl be so good for us and the girls too.
  • Options
    We are members of DC Rainbow Families, but not terribly active. We do march with them at Pride and attend a few events during the year.  I did meet some dads from the group for lunch last month and had fun.  This area is just so spread out that I find that it is hard to connect with people due to commutes, pace of life, etc.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageDuchess1:
    There isn't one near us :-( We want to join one so badly. I may have to start one myself, it woudl be so good for us and the girls too.

have you tried checking meetup.com? Thats where i found ours and there seems to be a wealth of groups on there.

• Options

We have a Rainbow Families in our town but we have not joined.  There is a really big LGBT community in our town.  Our next door neighbors are a lesbian couple and when we moved in they threw a party for us and we met a bunch of other gay couples, most had kids.  Two have kids within two months of Maggie.

One of the reasons we picked our town is because there is such a large population of gay families and we did not want our kids to feel like the only ones.   

• Options

We were part of Maybe Baby before we had our daughter, then joined Rainbow Families about two weeks after she was born.  We've also participated in the Lesbian Moms Meetup in the Seattle area.  It's important to us that Kyan see lots of families like hers, especially since we are the only ones in our town/commuter-suburb.  We don't go to all the group functions, but we're glad to have the opportunity. 

Truly, though, the place to be in the Seattle area is at WNBA games during the summertime.  Tickets are affordable (our season tickets are $10/seat) and the crowd is wonderful.  It also happens to be the place where we see our friends the most, aside from play dates.

• Options
    there is one here, and i joined the mailing list/group for it, but i'm not sure we'd ever be very active. we have a lot of lgbt friends who also have babies so we'll do things with them, but none of our friends are involved in the local group and we have straight friends who also have babies or children relatively close in age. honestly, we don't seem to have much in common with the people involved in the group other than orientation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"