Health & Exercise

Denied at the Dentist

So I am trying to be a good little pregnant woman and take care of myself like everyone is recommending.  I went to go to the dentist today since I've heard that your teeth and gums can really take a beating while pregnant.  I recently moved and so I was trying out my husband's dentist whom I've never seen before.  I drive all the way there, wait in the waiting room, go to sit down in the chair and then they tell me that they're going to do the x-rays.  I said that I couldn't have them since I'm pregnant and they said they couldn't do anything then.  Not even a basic cleaning, not even a shot at seeing the actual dentist.  

Needless to say, I'm not going to be going back here.  Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience?  My mom and my sister both said that they were seen by their dentists when they were pregnant and that they didn't have to have x-rays. 

Re: Denied at the Dentist

• That's crazy.  

I went to the dentist pregnant and he told me I just couldn't have x-rays.  Everything else was fine.  Find a new dentist because I do agree that its important to go.

• I'm a dentist and I'd never EVER turn down a pregnant woman for a cleaning.  We've done exams without xrays before and we just tell the patient that there may be things we can't see clinically (in the mouth) without the xrays, but it's still better than not looking at all!  After the pregnancy we'd have them come back for the xrays and a more thorough exam, but no cleaning is ridiculous!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • That's strange! I wouldn't go back either. I just went to the dentist a week ago and they did a full cleaning - they just couldn't do xrays.
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yep, find a new dentist.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sounds crazy to me as well,  a friend of mine told her Dentist the same thing and they tried to tell her it was fine to have x-rays', she had to insist on not getting one, but they did a cleaning though.
  • That is so strange... I was due for mine when I went in September, I think.  But, they just said they could do it after the baby came.  So, it will be postponed by a year.  But, I was able to continue with a routine cleaning, etc.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That's absolutely crazy.  They should have just not done the xrays.  Sounds like you wouldn't want to go there anyway if they're that weird.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"