Pennsylvania Babies

Ella's Birth Story

I've been meaning to post each day, but its funny how time slips by these days. :)

We checked into the hospital Tuesday evening around 7:30 and got settled into L&D pretty quickly to start the induction. The doctor did an internal and I was still only 1 cm and about 50-60% effaced. They started the cervadil around 9pm and the plan was to leave it in about 12 hours and then start the Pitocin the next morning. That evening I wasn't really having any contractions, just a few irregular ones from time to time. We tried to get some sleep (although those L&D beds are not meant to be slept on!) and I was getting pretty uncomfortable with cramping as the night went by. By 4:30 am, I was having pretty regular contractions anywhere from 4-6 minutes apart. They took the Cervadil out a little early at 8 am and then the doctor checked me again around 9 am. I was 2-3 cm and 80% effaced. I was expecting to then start the Pitocin, but she said that we didn't need it and we'd wait for me to progress on my own.

We were able to walk around some, use the shower and the birthing ball and the contractions intensified pretty quickly. By 10:30 am, I was having contractions that were 2-3 minutes apart and very strong. Unfortunately, back labor started to kick in too. Dealing with those contractions were far worse and an unexplainable pain. I felt like I was going to be sick from both ends, and all of our focus/breathing techniques weren't doing me much good. I made it until around 12, when I finally requested Nubain, hoping that it would ease the pain enough without needing the epidural. I remember it easing the pain, but not nearly enough where it was manageable. All it did was make me dizzy.

I finally decided then that I needed the epidural. I was still having contractions every 2-3 minutes, but every other contraction, I would have two immediately on top of each other with no rest in between. The epidural was put in shortly after. The anesthesiologist did a great job and I barely felt a thing and had immediate relief. The epidural wasn't at all what I expected. I still had a lot of feeling in my legs and was able to move my legs although I needed some assistance. I thought we'd have a few hours of rest, but at 2:30ish the doctor came back to check me and I was 10 cm and ready to push! I joked with her that there was no way I was ready yet - after all this time waiting, I wanted to hold off!

Anyway, we started pushing at 2:56. My contractions eventually started to space out, so they did give me some pitocin to make them more regular. I was able to lay on each side and push as well as use the birthing bar for "cruch style" pushing, as well as with a long bedsheet, where I basically played tug of war with the two nurses on the other side of the bar. I was so fortunate to have two awesome nurses (one who helped with my version) and my favorite doctor, so it was a great atmosphere. The first two hours of pushing went pretty smooth with a lot of breaks. The last hour was physically draining since her head wasn't progressing down and she was turned more towards the left and it was constant pushing for the most part. Thankfully with the epidural, I could still feel all of the pressure on my own and was able to direct when I needed to push.

I did have a 2nd degree tear, but I'm feeling pretty good. I guess the pushing was much longer than expected, but I just remember it as being such a peaceful time. I'm glad that I experienced the contractions but was also able to really enjoy the delivery. When Ella finally arrived, she cried right away and we spent some good bonding time together. We were so relieved just to finally have her here. We had our first pedi appt yesterday and they gave her a clean bill of health. We addressed the fact that her legs were still measuring behind at 40 wks, but they said everything looks normal. They are recommending an ultrasound at 1 mo. for hip dysplasia since she was breech for most of the pregnancy. However this is routine and everything looks normal as of now.

Overall, we're doing well and we're just in love with her! Here are some pictures from Facebook, since this is easiest to share for now.

https://tinyurl.com/y9fgf5d 

Re: Ella's Birth Story

• imagebridz2be:

I joked with her that there was no way I was ready yet - after all this time waiting, I wanted to hold off!

That was TOTALLY me.  They came in about 2:30 to check me and I was 10 cm.  The nurse asked if I was ready to do some practice pushing . . I said "No I'm good". lol  I felt like I could push but at that point didn't feel like I needed to push.  It was at that point I realized in minutes I was going to be a mother and how terrifying that could be - and wanted to hold it off just a couple more minutes.  Its funny when you spend all those months waiting and then right before the big conclusion to it all you want just a few more minutes. 

I'm so glad you had such a positive experience Megan.   Ella is absolutely beautiful.  I'm so happy for you.  And what great news about you getting an extra week of leave!  I'm jealous! :)  Its amazing how fast everything flies by isn't it?  It seems like only yesterday you and I were announcing we were pregnant and now here we are. Have a great Christmas!!

• Congrats! She is beautiful and you look great!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"