Minnesota Babies

Birth story: Abbott NW

I wanted to post this on the local board since I had such a positive experience at Abbott NW. I know it is an older hospital without alot of the luxuries available at other hospitals but I was thrilled with the treatment we received and am excited to have our future children there as well. I was told that they average 5,500 births there per year so when you have medical staff with that much experience you know you are in good hands.  

My water broke on Friday December 11th at 7:30 pm. I bent over to see if the Christmas tree needed water and felt a huge gush. We had been discussing induction dates with the doctor the day before since I had zero progress. Since I was not having any contractions I took a shower and we arrived at the hospital at 9 pm. I delivered at Abbott NW, the same hospital as the woman from that online live birth. I was given Cervadil since I was dilated to 1. I was also given antibiotics and fluids via IV since I was Strep B+ and wanted an epi. 12 hours later I was only at a 3 and was then given Pitocin. I started having a strange contraction pattern, one hard followed by one light which indicated that the baby's head was facing the wrong direction.  The contractions were pretty bad but I held out until 5 pm on Saturday for the epi. A nurse made a comment at that time that by the same time on Sunday my son should be born. I lost it and was bawling because I could not imagine being in that kind of pain 24 hours longer. The Epi was immediate relief but stopped working after 1 hour. The second time worked wonderfully. At 9 pm the decision was made to wait 2 more hours for progress and then go ahead with a c-section since the baby's heart rate was slightly dropping after each hard contraction indicating he was getting stressed and tired. I slept for 2 hours and awoke to zero progress and the baby's reat rate was getting even more erratic. After the incision it took only 10 minutes to get him out. I was shaking uncontrollably and they draped me with warm towels. I didn't know this until later but DH thought we were going to die. He had a huge hospital/medical phobia but held his emotions inside and was just there for us. When they said "9 lbs 10 oz!" I actually thought they were talking about someone else since the doctors guessed him to be about 8 lbs. Since DH did not want to look past the drape the anesthesiologist grabbed our camera and took a bunch of awesome shots during the surgery and after. Such a priceless thing to do, I will have to send her a thank you note. Tristan James was born on Sunday December 13th at 12:52 am - HIS DUE DATE! 9 bs, 10 oz and 21 1/4 inches long. I was released from the hospital on Wednesday evening. Baby Tristan is perfect! Breast feeding is a challenge but we are getting better with the help of a lactation consultant. I was worried about not bonding with him since I didn't feel very maternal during my pregnancy but that instantly changed when I saw him. DH is a wonderful father and our love for each other is amazing. I can't imagine it any other way. Our 10 year wait for Tristan was well worth it.

Re: Birth story: Abbott NW

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"