2nd Trimester

How safe is snow tubing?

DH and I are thinking of driving up to Quebec City next week to go to this amazing ski resort that's all snow tubing (if any of you live near Quebec City and haven't gone to Valcartier, you don't know what you're missing!)... basically it's an entire mountain with ski trails, but every single trail is for tubing!  It's AMAZING.

Anyway, I'm going to ask my OB at my appt on Monday if snow tubing is safe, since there's no collisions and it's all on trails with lifts and bumpers so it's not like I'm trekking up a huge hill or possibly sliding off into the woods.  Do you think there'll be any chance the doctor would say tubing isn't safe? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How safe is snow tubing?

• I am not sure what your OB will say but I am pretty cautions while I am pregnant so I would say no.  What if you fell off the tube while going down the hill.  The baby is pretty padded in there but I just wouldn't want to take the risk of something happening because I would never forgive myself. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Second Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I say not safe. What if you slip? What if it moves to fast and you fall at the bottom. Not worth the risk in my opinion.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My husband and some friends are planning on tubing the day after Christmas. I am going to go and watch/ hang out in the lodge. There is always a possibility of falling or getting knocked down, and the snow is pretty hard and icy, so I just don't want to take the chance.
  • I don't know if it is similar to tubing here in Colorado, but I know a few years ago when I went and hit a bump I got the wind knocked out of me pretty good.  Not saying that would hurt baby necessarily but doesn't sound like something I would want to do while pregnant.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I personally wouldn't do it.
  • At 14 weeks I probably would have done it and not thought twice. I'll be interested to hear what your OB says.
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I personally wouldn't. Seems to risky to me, falling on the ice, falling off the tube and hurting yourself. Just my own personal opinion, but I would def talk to your OB.
  • I wouldn't (and am not - we're going sledding this weekend with family but I'm only watching) doing it. You move fast, especially at ski resort tubing hills, and there is too good of a chance of hitting a bump and/or falling off. I'd sit it out this year - better to be safe than sorry when it comes to the life of your child, IMO.
  • I've never gone tubing and NOT gotten thrown off at some point..... it's not like the winter version of a lazy river. You go fast and if you hit a bump... you're likely going flying. If you think being thrown from a tube and or rolling down a hill is not a good idea for a pregnant woman then no.... it's not a good idea. I'd be surprised if there isn't a sign at the ski resort telling you it's not allowed.
    Lilypie - (JLjB)

• When I was 14 I got a concussion after I was hit by another tuber at the bottom of a small hill so there is no way I would do it pregnant. 

• Absolutely not.  A few trips down a snowy hill aren't worth risking your child's life.
  • probably not the best idea...I found this on the googler

https://www.tobogganing.ch/en/securite.htm

It says the pregnant moose can't go on the tube. 

• I went to a ski resort last year that had tubing and they wouldn't let anyone pregnant tube or ski. I was 5 months at the time.

I wouldn't risk it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    mmc and d&c at 8.5 weeks - 8/23/2010
    natural m/c and d&c at 10 weeks - 1/24/2014
    DX w/ hetero C677t and A1298C MTHFR - 3/4/2014

• I cant believe youre even asking this.  Just because youre not on your feet doesnt mean something cant go terribly wrong
  • Snow tubing is a blast...but  check with the Valcartier resort, pregnant women probably aren't allowed on the lifts/hills.  Too risky. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Absolutely not!

You don't have to get hit in the stomach to cause problems for your LO.  Hard jolts and bumps (such as when you fall) can cause the placenta to detach.

This is out of the question in my book.

• No, not safe
  • imageShweensickle:
    Ask Darwin. 

LOL Yes

• imagerobinsokj:
    I cant believe youre even asking this.  Just because youre not on your feet doesnt mean something cant go terribly wrong

I have to agree with her...

View Full Size Image 
    View Full Size Image View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagenicole4312:

imagerobinsokj:
    I cant believe youre even asking this.  Just because youre not on your feet doesnt mean something cant go terribly wrong

I have to agree with her...

THIS. 

• Maybe if you DID hit your head, you would knock some sense into yourself.
  • I wouldn't even take a chance....and I think my OB would look at me like I had 2 heads for even asking
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecutie420311:
    Maybe if you DID hit your head, you would knock some sense into yourself.

Yes I really hope you just started this post to start some drama b/c you're bored.

TTC since 6/2003. m/c 9/14/03 8 weeks, 5 chemical pregnancies, mmc 6/04 12 weeks, Michael born sleeping 5/25/05 at 22weeks always our angel, fought ovarian cancer and won, m/c 4/06 5.2 weeks and 7/07 6.6 weeks,Our Miracle baby girl born 4/8/10,mc 12/18/11 at 5.3 weeks, BFP 10/26/12 dating u/s on 11/8/12 showing a strong heartbeat!EDD July 4,2013. RCS on 6/27. Baby boy in NICU for 8 long and scary days before he was able to come home. We are now a happy family of 4

. imageimage

• Wow... apparently some of you didn't read my post carefully when I explained that this is a controlled environment... it's not a random hill with bumps or tons of people crowding down at the same time.  So the risk of getting hit or hitting someone isn't a factor, neither is hitting a bump and going flying.  You guys read waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much into these questions!!!
  • imagemopsie:
    Wow... apparently some of you didn't read my post carefully when I explained that this is a controlled environment... it's not a random hill with bumps or tons of people crowding down at the same time.  So the risk of getting hit or hitting someone isn't a factor, neither is hitting a bump and going flying.  You guys read waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much into these questions!!!

Are you kidding?  There's ALWAYS room for accidents - I wouldn't think that the rush of adrenaline is necessarily good for baby either, even if that's the ONLY "foreseeable" risk.  You're an idiot.

• imagemopsie:
    Wow... apparently some of you didn't read my post carefully when I explained that this is a controlled environment... it's not a random hill with bumps or tons of people crowding down at the same time.  So the risk of getting hit or hitting someone isn't a factor, neither is hitting a bump and going flying.  You guys read waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much into these questions!!!

I think most of us read your post very carefully.  Controlled environment or not, it's still NOT SAFE.  You asked how safe it is...it's not.  Just because the risk is minimized doesn't mean there isn't any risk.  Why take the chance with your baby? Just wait and go next year...

• Look - it sounds like you want us to pat you on the head and tell you it's going to be fine.

Going at high speeds, unsecured and unprotected on a tube down a hill is not safe.  That's all there is to it.  It doesn't matter if there are bumps or people are going to hit you.  yeesh - use your brain a little!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"