Special Needs

Club foot

Anyone dealing w/ this? We have not seen an orthopedic yet. We are going on the 28th. I just want to know what to expect. TIA!

Re: Club foot

• Thank you Auntie. I hope she does see my post. I just want to get more educated on the matter before seeing the dr. I hope that we are as lucky as your DH. If shoe soles are our only issue than we will be just fine!

Are your DH's feet the same size? I read that if only one foot is effected then it can be a size or more smaller.

• My son was born with a club foot.  Starting at 2 weeks we did weekly seriel castings at Gillette Children's Hospital in St. Paul to slowly move his foot back into the correct position.  After 9 weeks, he had his heel cord cut and then casted for another 3 weeks until that healed up (this ensured he would be able to stretch his foot properly). 

Now he is in what are called Ponsetti's Sandals (per the Ponsetti's method) with a brace between them.  He wears this for 22 hours/day for 12 weeks, then only at night for the next 2-3 years, or however long he'll let us!

My son adjusted well to the castings, sandals, etc.  The nice thing about the sandals is we can take them on/off at our leisure, however we keep them on most of the time.  Starting 1/12 we go down to just nights and I'm so pumped!

One bummer part to the castings are no regular baths, only sponge baths.  My son didn't get his first "real bath" until he was 3 months old.

His foot is straight now and is just a little shorter than the other, but if you didn't know he was born with a club foot, you'd never know it.

Feel free to PM me with any questions!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"