High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Lisinopril & Pre-Eclampsia

Hi Ladies,

Is anyone taking Lisinopril for Postpartum Pre-Eclampsia. If so, how are you tolerating the medication? What dose are you on?

I am currently on Labeltalol 50mg twice daily. My blood pressures at rest are in the 120's. I am not understanding why my doctor wants to make changes at this time. I am 3 months postpartum.

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? I am feeling a bit anxious about changing any medication at this point.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Lisinopril & Pre-Eclampsia

• Options
    I was on lisinopril for a few months.  It did a good job of controlling my BP, but it made me cough.  My only warning would be to call your doctor if you developing a cough.
  • Options
    Do you still have residual protein in your urine?  This could be the reason for the Lisinopril.  I was still spilling some protein months after I had the baby and my nephrologist suggested the Lisinopril which did cut down on the protein I spilled as my kidneys went back to normal.  Now my protein has gone way way down and hopefully if I have any its in the insignificant range.  Just thought this might be the reason for them changing you over. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Good point!! Yes, I have shown from what they said "trace protein". How much Lisinopril did they have you on? Are you still on it? If not, how long did it take for this to clear for you.
  • Options
    I was only on 2.5 mg of Lisinopril once a day.  I had been on Labetalol for awhile after delivering but actually not a very high dose of the Labetalol either.  I don't know if it was the Lisinopril entirely or just that time heals but my protein has dramatically dropped and I'm hoping the next time I have it checked that it will be in the insignificant range. :)  Good Luck!  Oh and I didn't really have any side effects from the Lisinopril.  Evidently some people complain about a dry cough that comes and goes but other than that it didn't affect me.
  • Options
    Thanks for your post! How long did you take the BP meds for? I have heard that Lisinopril can cause a dry cough. I really appreciate your feedback!!
  • Options
    I'm actually still taking the Lisinopril every other day (same dosage).  I have another appt. with my doctor in January where he'll check the protein level again.  I have a feeling if its gone down again he'll just take me off the Lisinopril.  I had my daughter in Nov 08 and was on the Labetalol for 4-5 months before being switched to the Lisinopril to try to cut my protein levels down.  I think there are several people that have residual effects from pre-e even months afterwards but I think as more time passes after the birth things can normalize.  Good Luck to you!
  • Options

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your post back. It gives me so much hope and a feeling that I am not alone with this. Thank you really!! Sounds like you have come along way and that you are doing great. Only taking it now every other day. That is really great to hear!

Did you ever feel when your BP was up? For some reason, my body feels so sensitive and I can feel when it reaches the 130's. My baseline before baby was 110's-120's. I do believe what you said...the longer you go out the more your body adjusts and balances itself out.

Thank you !!!!

• Options
    I didn't really notice when my bp was up.  Before pregnancy I was always low bp...like 110/60 something so it was strange to me when my bp was so high.  I know when I delivered it was very high...like 200/100 something and I was in terrible pain on my right side.  Mine came on very quickly..I was admitted to the hospital on a Monday and by Wednesday morning I had my emergency c-section.  Afterwards I realized I was exhibiting signs of pre-e long before I had my daughter but just didn't realize they were signs of it.  Had I known I may have been to the doctor sooner and been put on bedrest.  I know some people have been able to really lessen their symptoms and buy time by being on bedrest.  I would expect that you'll probably normalize more and more the longer you are out from the birth.  Or at least thats what I've found. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"