New York Babies
Options

Bugaboo vs. Uppa/Vista??

We are deciding between Bugaboo and Uppa.  Would love to hear comments on what made you choose either.  We know we'll probably have to get a lightweight for car travel or subway riding, but are stuck between these 2 and the price difference is pretty significant so would appreciate any comments from those that chose either.  Thanks in advance! :)

Re: Bugaboo vs. Uppa/Vista??

• Options

Hi There!

We are trying to decide between the two as well.  We are leaning towards the Uppa.  In part, because good friends of ours who had their baby a few months ago have the Uppa and LOVE it.  She did a TON of research on both and I have attached her email explaining her findings.  I hope this helps you! :)

I did a TON of research on strollers and it really came down to the
    Uppa Baby or Bugaboo. I "drove" the Quinny one, but HATED it. The
    Stokke thing that sits up high just was not for me. The Uppa and the
    Bug had the general features I was looking for (bassinet, click in car
    seat, strong wheels that can go over anything, good storage, etc.)
    These features may not be as applicable for suburb use, but definitely
    important for city use in my opinion. If you guys are suburb bound,
    maybe this is not the one, but you need to decide which features are
    important.

So I went to Albee Baby (94th and Amsterdam) to test drive
    them. Buy Buy Baby probably has more room at the store to do this if
    you are interested. Don't bother with Babies R Us in NYC - the
    salespeople do not have the expertise to help you in any meaningful
    whatsoever. They can barely tell you where the strollers are located.
    The people at Albee (or Buy Buy Baby or Giggle, my favorite baby
    store in NYC) know their stuff.

Here is where we came out on the UPPA in no particular order....

- large storage area (more than Bug)
    - made eco friendly materials (no with Bug)
    - smooth ride (though Bug might be a little smoother)
    - the handle bar was much more comfortable for me
    - very easy fold (did not try to fold Bug, so cannot compare)
    - lightweight
    - baby can face in or out
    - the wheels cannot pop (Bug just changed its wheel design to match UPPA)
    - several hundred $ less expensive
    - ABILITY TO ADD A RUMBLE SEAT FOR CHILD #2 (Bug does not have this)
    This was HUGE for us b/c you don't have to buy a second stroller when
    #2 comes along (after spending so much for stroller #1)

UPPA is making a 2010 version, so you can benefit from any design
    changes put in to address any issues!! For example, the cup holder
    that UPPA makes is AWFUL. I have had 2 already. First one broke and
    UPPA sent me a new one for free, which also broke. Resorted to buying
    a universal one. Also, there is no rain cover included for the
    bassinet. The one that they make (bought separately) has issues. I
    bought a generic one at Albee based on their recommendation that works
    perfectly.

I am sure that people who went with the Bugaboo would be able to write
    a similar email to this one supporting their choice. UPPA is what I
    know though, so there you go.

• Options
    We have the bugaboo. And if I were to do this all over again I would buy the bugaboo again  :) It has every option you can think of. There is a reason why almost everyone has the bugaboo :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks to you both!  Very helpful and much appreciated.  Happy holidays! :)
  • Options

We have the Uppa and I love love love love it. We "test drove" most of the models and honestly, there just wasn't about the Uppa that we didn't like! It's so easy to maneuver, has great storage space, rear or forward facing seat, car seat adaptor options, lots of included extras, etc. The 2010 model looks to be just about perfect, as it's fixed the one thing I was concerned about (that the seat doesn't fully recline).

The Uppa's seat sits up a little higher than the Bug, which I really like. And the fold is super easy. 

I would highly recommend going over to Schneider's, at 25th and 6th, to look at strollers and other baby stuff. It's a smaller store, and thus you aren't fighting over strollers with lots of other people. We spent soooooo long there looking at everything. It's a sweet little store, and we were really pleased with our shopping experience. We bought our glider from them, they had lots in the store to look at and try.

"For a long time there were only your footprints & laughter in our dreams & even from such small things, we knew we could not wait to love you forever." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageTarheelsInNJ:

We have the Uppa and I love love love love it. We "test drove" most of the models and honestly, there just wasn't about the Uppa that we didn't like! It's so easy to maneuver, has great storage space, rear or forward facing seat, car seat adaptor options, lots of included extras, etc. The 2010 model looks to be just about perfect, as it's fixed the one thing I was concerned about (that the seat doesn't fully recline).

The Uppa's seat sits up a little higher than the Bug, which I really like. And the fold is super easy. 

I would highly recommend going over to Schneider's, at 25th and 6th, to look at strollers and other baby stuff. It's a smaller store, and thus you aren't fighting over strollers with lots of other people. We spent soooooo long there looking at everything. It's a sweet little store, and we were really pleased with our shopping experience. We bought our glider from them, they had lots in the store to look at and try.

Thanks!  Your baby boy is adorable! :)

So, we bought out furniture from Schneiders and have a discount to use to purchase our stroller there and went to pick up our mattress and asked the saleslady (possible owner) about the Uppa baby, and she was a total WITCH!  She said they don't really recommend the Uppa and when I asked her why she told me we should go back to buy buy baby (We were carrying a bag from them) and ask them.  I was so stunned my husband and I just kinda stuttered, as she continued to say if we registered with them they would have told us their stroller opinions.  It was nuts...considering we just dropped about a $1000 there and WERE planning on buying our stroller there!!  Totally lost us as customers.  Wish we gave her a piece of our minds, but we're too nice so we just stared at her shocked and left.  Isn't that crazy?  Perhaps she was having a bad day, and we did like the store but she totally turned me off as you can imagine. 

Thanks for the tip though! :)

• Options
    imageTwilo:
    imageTarheelsInNJ:

Thanks!  Your baby boy is adorable! :)

So, we bought out furniture from Schneiders and have a discount to use to purchase our stroller there and went to pick up our mattress and asked the saleslady (possible owner) about the Uppa baby, and she was a total WITCH!  She said they don't really recommend the Uppa and when I asked her why she told me we should go back to buy buy baby (We were carrying a bag from them) and ask them.  I was so stunned my husband and I just kinda stuttered, as she continued to say if we registered with them they would have told us their stroller opinions.  It was nuts...considering we just dropped about a $1000 there and WERE planning on buying our stroller there!!  Totally lost us as customers.  Wish we gave her a piece of our minds, but we're too nice so we just stared at her shocked and left.  Isn't that crazy?  Perhaps she was having a bad day, and we did like the store but she totally turned me off as you can imagine. 

Thanks for the tip though! :)

Wow, I'm really disappointed to hear that. We didn't interact with the sales staff all that much, I guess, but just really enjoyed the store itself. A little more "humane" than Buy Buy Baby! I do indeed hope whoever that was just had a bad day.

I've also never heard of anyone not recommending the Uppa. That's not to say that it's the very best stroller out there (though we think it is! lol) but I've never heard anyone have really bad things to say about it. And trust me, we read TONS of reviews and talked to a lot of people.

"For a long time there were only your footprints & laughter in our dreams & even from such small things, we knew we could not wait to love you forever." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I cannot wait to get an UPPA.  I have researched till the cows come home and decided that for the money the UPPA folds better, handles adjust (so does the bugaboo cameleon at 950 bucks).. you dont need to switch the fabric for the uppa u can use either the bassinet or seat without an issue ir reconfiguring the frame!
  • Options

We still haven't made the decision if you can believe it!??! 

Test drive the Teutonia and really liked that so now I'm more confused than ever.  Anyone have any opinions on the Teutonia?  Thanks SO much! :)

Although the new yellow Uppa is really cool looking. ;)

• Options
    Go with the Uppa the 2010 has such nice features as well as a rain shield and net INCLUDED!
  • Options

After hours of research, prodding my mommy friends, and visits to Buybuybaby & giggle, we have decided on the UPPA over the Bugaboo. The only plus I had on the bugaboo side over the UPPA was that I liked how it looked better, so I couldn't really justify that all the other UPPA +'s!  For us the major UPPA +'s were: Price, Folding is a breeze, underneath storage is bigger, Bassinet can be used separately(we are getting the rocker stand so we can use it in the house for naps etc..), additional seat for second child, and great reviews!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"