2nd Trimester
Options

Friend was told 11lbs at 20 weeks was too much ...

Im no Dr. but doesnt that seem crazy?

Im pretty sure I had gained a lot more than that by 20 weeks. Why do some Dr.s focus so much on it when this mom is an obviously active person (she owns a gym for goodness sake)

?

Re: Friend was told 11lbs at 20 weeks was too much ...

• Options
    Yes, that's crazy.
  • Options

Sounds pretty dumb to me...I thought I would be in excellent shape if I only gained 10 pounds by 20 weeks (I've gained 3 so far). I think 11 pounds is great.

Stuff like this makes me love my midwife - she doesn't care how much weight you gain, they don't weigh you at appts either.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My doctor said the same thing at my 20 week appointment...and yes, I think it's insane. 
  • Options
    Confused I hate when I hear this... 11lbs and 20wks is NOT too much at all. I'm guessing she wasn't overweight before (seeing as she owns a gym). I've gained an average of a lb a week and my dr hasn't said a word to me! Grr, to dr's who make those comments
  • Options

I've gained 7 so far so if I gain 1 pound a week between now and 20, I would have gained 11 pounds total thus far. 

I think it's totally normal...

• Options
    Crazy doc!  My doc doesnt comment on my weight.. but im assuming its b/c im almost 17 weeks and ive only gained 3.5 pounds.
  • Options

Oh gawd! Tell her not too worry. I'm a fairly active person and worked out regulary. I've actually eaten better now than I have in my whole life since the BFP, and I've still gained 15 lbs and I'm only on week 17. According to your friends doctor, I must be extremley obese now :)

Dr. said more women put the weight on faster, some have a harder time putting it on, but it will even out eventually.

• Options
    I had gained 10lbs at my 19wk appt & the dr commented on how NORMAL that was.  So yes, that seems crazy.  Especially if she isn't overweight to begin with.

• Options

imagechapski:
    Confused I hate when I hear this... 11lbs and 20wks is NOT too much at all. I'm guessing she wasn't overweight before (seeing as she owns a gym). I've gained an average of a lb a week and my dr hasn't said a word to me! Grr, to dr's who make those comments

nope - she was very fit. With my prev 2 pregnancies my Dr never mentioned my weight either. Just seems silly. I understand if there was cause for concern - like 11 lbs in ONE week but this?!

• Options
    Is your friend overweight?  I was overweight pre-preg and they want you to gain at most 15-20lbs for the whole preg. in that case.
  • Options
    I was at 10 at my appt yesterday (19 weeks) and my doctor said that was good.
  • Options
    Um, isn't that what you're supposed to gain?  My doctor hasn't commented (yet) about weight, but the nurse expressed some concern that I'd lost 2 pounds at my last appointment, that's about it.  Weird.
  • Options

My dr. is VERY strict about how much they want you to gain.  The practice that I go to would consider 11lbs at 20w to be too much. 

Luckily (in their mind) I have a tendency to lose weight in the beginning of pregnancy so, by the time I'm 20w, I'm just getting back to my pre-pg weight.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have gained 10 lbs at 20 wks and my doctor is really happy with our progress (me and the Bean). I would tell your friend NOT to worry. It seems ridiculous to me that her doc is concerned!
  • Options
    I've gained 11 lbs at 21 weeks.  I asked my doc if this was too much yesterday and he laughed at me. 
  • Options
    That's dumb! I don't know why there's such pressure on us about our weight, even when we are pregnant! I don't know anyone who doesn't want to do the best for their child.
  • Options
    It depends. Was she overweight to start with?
  • Options
    I hope not,  that's exactly how much I've gained
  • Options
    Depends on her weight before the pregnancy.
  • Options
    wow i really need to catch up! i was soo sick the first 4 months i lost 20 pounds and have only gained back one. so now i have to try to eat every 2 hours. and its hard because i still get sick at the site of soo many foods. so im trying. Sigh...
  • Options
    Yeah, that's ridiculous!
  • Options
    That sounds a little rediculous.  I have gained 8 so far and my doctor said that she was a little concerned because she didn't think I gained enough.  Which, 11 lbs is not that far from what I've gained.  My doctor also said not to worry too much about it...she said it all evens out as long as you are eating somewhat healthy.  That is annoying...eat when you're hungry and try to eat the right stuff... that is really all that matters.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    my dr told me that at 20 wks average weight gain is 10 lbs- so it sounds like shes fine to me!
  • Options
    The nurse at my insurance company's wellness program said one school of thought is no more than 10 pounds in the first 20 weeks. Even with that philosophy eleven pounds hardly seems fuss worthy.?
  • Options
    haha oh then I am SCREWED
  • Options
    That's terrible! The only thing my doc has said to me is that he would like to see me gain weight by 20 weeks. I am down about 8 pounds and he said it would be best to gain that back plus 5-10 pounds more by 20 weeks. And I am in no way underweight! 5'7 and 160 pounds, so technically my BMI falls towards the high range. Every woman is different. Your friend may taper off her weight gain in the next few weeks and even if she doesnt, who cares? As long as she doesnt gain an obscene amount (risk of GD, etc) then she will be just fine. Drs can be so insensitive!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    that's crazy!  i'm active and i gained 11lbs (total) at my 20w appt last night.  my nurse midwife told me that my weight was right on track and to keep doing what i'm doing. 
    10 Months Old! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    imageErika6504:

My dr. is VERY strict about how much they want you to gain.  The practice that I go to would consider 11lbs at 20w to be too much. 

Luckily (in their mind) I have a tendency to lose weight in the beginning of pregnancy so, by the time I'm 20w, I'm just getting back to my pre-pg weight.

Same here.

• Options

I don't know... that seems like a lot to me. But I am a tiny person (5'1" and 115 lbs) and I lost 10 lbs since BPF and haven't gained anything. 

My doctor said that I shouldn't gain anything in the first 20 weeks anyway, and that weight gain should only usually happen after 20 weeks and even then, only at 1 lb per week.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Eleanor Noelle - 18/05/12 Claire Elisabeth - 16/-5/10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"