Houston Babies

Sam apparently met Santa at school today.

He just told me in passing, so I haven't really talked to him yet, but I asked him what he was like.  He said,

"Well, he had a really fancy hat, and his pants were so nice.  And [making a waddling motion, showing a big belly with his hands] he went walking, walking, wallking, walking down the hall."

Re: Sam apparently met Santa at school today.

• I love that his pants were "so nice!"

I'm surprised they have such a santa focus in an international school though.

• imagekat.in.the.hat:

I love that his pants were "so nice!"

I'm surprised they have such a santa focus in an international school though.

Yes, it's strange, isn't it?

• Loading the player...
  • It is, I would have thought they would have either done nothing or been more inclusive.  Because you've said they have students from all over, right? (I remember you asking about food in a previous post and touching on that.)

Are there students from European countries there that he/your family could talk to about their traditions?

Other than that, how are things going for yall?  I know it's hard, but I'm so jealous of your experience.

• Oh no, they're very inclusive.  They learn all about different celebrations.  In Sam's class they recently learned about Hanukkah and Santa Lucia Day.  (He has a few Scandanavians in his class.)  They mostly concentrate on those that are national holidays in Singapore, but they do touch on others as well.  Christmas is actually a pretty big deal here in Singapore, and the majority of the students to celebrate it, so I dont' have issue with that.  I'm just surprised Santa has been so prevalent in their learning about the holiday.

ETA: Oh, and things are going okay here.  I've heard people compare a big move like this to being married.  First you have the honeymoon phase.  They everything starts bothering you and you can't stand it and you want out.  :)  Then everything kind of settles down, you become more comfortable with things, and you're okay with everything.  Well, my honeymoon phase actually lasted quite a while.  I'd say the first 3 1/2 months, I LOVED it.  Now I'm firmly in the "get me out of here" phase.  :)  I'm sure it will pass though.  I'm just starting to miss having the kind of friendships and support system that I have at home.  I'm sure I'll eventually build a support system here too, but it's slow going...I sure hope I get to the comfortable phase soon!

• I hope you reach the comfortable phase soon!

As for international countries and X-Mas, by far the most crazy decorated place for Christmas I have ever seen was Hong Kong.  It was out of control. 

Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
    So Tasty, So Yummy
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"