Austin Babies

Rude to take baby to a baby shower?

I have one this afternoon, and when I responded to the Evite, I said "I may have to bring my own bundle of joy (if that's ok), but I can't wait to be there."  At the time, I was afraid DH might not be able to watch Jackson, but technically he could.  I am still wondering if it would be ok to take him, just because I had to leave him with my mom Saturday night while we went to 2 parties, and I hate to leave him again from 2-4, which is his best awake time before he gets ready for bed.  Selfish I know, but is it rude to take a baby?  If you say yes, it won't hurt my feelings.  Well, kinda, but that's ok . . . 

Re: Rude to take baby to a baby shower?

• Some people think it is but I don't. I mean, does the hostess have to account for extra food or drinks? No. Does having your baby there really take the limelight/spotlight or whatever from the guest of honor? I don't think so. Unless the guest of honor is just a really insecure person but you'll have to judge that for yourself.

With so many moms working M-F these days, I feel like we all need to understand the need to spend as much time as possible with family/children on the weekends.

As far as child-proofing goes - as long as you're not letting your little one destroy the host house and keeping an eye on them. I know it doesn't matter at your sons age, but it's a common reason given why a small child may not be "welcome".

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • babies and small children are absolutely welcome at baby showers in someone's home, provided they're well-behaved and the mother keeps them on a short leash.

any other kind of shower, babies are a no-no. but kids (especially babies) are loved at baby showers. the exception would be if the baby shower is an elegant luncheon or other sort of environment that would not be appropriate for babies.

• Loading the player...
  • imageJezcaM:

babies and small children are absolutely welcome at baby showers in someone's home, provided they're well-behaved and the mother keeps them on a short leash.

any other kind of shower, babies are a no-no. but kids (especially babies) are loved at baby showers. the exception would be if the baby shower is an elegant luncheon or other sort of environment that would not be appropriate for babies.

This 100%!  I say go for it. :)

• I would make sure it was ok w/ the hostesses and the guest of honour.  I know, for me--being selfish and b!tchy, I guess--I wouldn't want someone else's kid there.  My niece was at my shower and she kept getting into my gifts and opening them and I get cranky when things aren't going as they should. 

But, apparently, that's just me.

• I hosted a baby shower yesterday and asked the other hostesses in advance if it was ok if I brought DD and they all said they had just assumed I would. There were 2 toddlers there also (14 mo and 21 mo).
  • I'd double check with the hostess, but unless it's a very fancy luncheon, I'd assume it's okay to bring a young infant to a baby shower.
  • I think it depends on the crowd. With my college friends it's not done but with dh's family it's accepted. I'd just check with the hosts.
  • imagejoyco:

I would make sure it was ok w/ the hostesses and the guest of honour.  I know, for me--being selfish and b!tchy, I guess--I wouldn't want someone else's kid there.  My niece was at my shower and she kept getting into my gifts and opening them and I get cranky when things aren't going as they should. 

I don't think that's being selfish at all.  I think someone should have been watching your niece.  I'd get upset if someone was opening my gifts too.  Ha, maybe we're both selfish :) 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageangelaggie:
    imagejoyco:

I would make sure it was ok w/ the hostesses and the guest of honour.  I know, for me--being selfish and b!tchy, I guess--I wouldn't want someone else's kid there.  My niece was at my shower and she kept getting into my gifts and opening them and I get cranky when things aren't going as they should. 

I don't think that's being selfish at all.  I think someone should have been watching your niece.  I'd get upset if someone was opening my gifts too.  Ha, maybe we're both selfish :) 

Totally not cool for a kid to be opening your gifts! That's understandable.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • i have mixed feelings about it....i think it's kinda the last time the focus will ever be on you and i think it's ok to be selfish and not want kids to distract from your party.  but i know lots of my friends felt just fine having babies there, so you just have to know how your friends feel. i mean your wedding, your first child and then maybe your 50th bday....when is the next time you get to be the center of attention? sorry if that sounds mean....not meaning to!
    09/21/09 and 08/16/2011 image
  • imageangelaggie:
    imagejoyco:

I agree with the 2 of you, when I throw a shower I don't want the guest to be put in second place or discomfort at any point during their shower so I usually request no children. I also like the ideas of the mom's being able to enjoy the entire party and not have to worry about chasing kids or dealing with anything but fun.

HTH!

Amy

• I always ask the hostess first. ?Only one has ever said no.?
  • Well, it turned out to be a non-issue.  Jackson was having so much teething pain, that he was no fun for anyone to be around, so I did the natural thing and got the heck out of Dodge!  Stick out tongue  DH kept him at home and I only stayed for half the shower. 

Thanks for all of your opinions.  Generally, I would not even have considered taking him once he is mobile, but since he is still stuck to my lap, I thought it might work.  Also, BOO on anyone who lets their kid open someone else's gifts!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"