Birth Stories
Options

Annabelle's Early Arrival (Birth Story)

On October 6 I had my 33 week appointment. I was thinking go in, do the usual leave and be done until next week. Well I arrived at the Doctor's office not feeling so quite right. My blood pressure was high and I had gained 20lbs in about a week. Doctor sent me over to the hospital for testing and to monitor the baby. I called DH really upset because this was the first appointment that he had missed.

I headed over to the Women's Pavillion ( getting a ride to the hospital via a coworker) and waited for DH. I was finally admitted back after 30 minutes. Come to find out they decided to admit me that night. OB was concerned about the huge weight gain, told me that I was having my baby in the next two days. I started to really freak out because I was not ready for the baby. I knew that she would be small, and have to spend time in the NICU. Plus I had no fixed my hospital bag. We called a few relatives and they were so kind to pick up my vehicle and return it home, pick up clothes, the baby book and rush to the hospital. 

The OB did an ultrasound to check on the baby and to estimate her size. Then they started to administer Magensium Sulfate to help lower my blood pressure. MS made me feel so weird, I was freezing and then hot and it made me very sick. After several hours of blood draws, more MS and blood pressure readings, I was told to settle in for the night. Around 2:00 a.m. I told the nurse that I felt something wet, she didn't believe that my water and broke, but it did. Around 4:00 a.m. I was asking for some drugs, but they told me to wait it out. At 6:00 a.m. they would be in to check me. I was 2 cm and 50% effaced. They decided to give me pitcon to speed up the contractions and oh did that hurt. At 9:00 a.m. I was checked again and I was 4 cm and 80% effaced. At 9:30 a.m. I received the epi. I was really worried about getting the epidural, but it was only a small prick and it was in and I had instant relief. 

I was told then to get some sleep (yeah okay). Several times during the day I was checked, but at 3:00 p.m. I was checked again and I was already 9 c.m. and 100% effaced. I knew that it was going to happen soon. My Nurse was so wonderful, she got the NICU team in order and my doctor. At 4:00 p.m. I was telling the nurse that I needed to push, but they weren't allowing me too, because my OB wasn't available. I started to freak out, but my nurse reassured me that I would be okay, that she could deliver the baby. I must warn you, that my epidural wore off to a point that I could feel when to push. They had told me they would turn it down, well they never had to turn it down. I remember pushing that button every 5 minutes, but nothing was happening. You can't overdose on epidural, but I swear it wasn't working correctly. 

I pushed about 4 times and finally at 4:30 p.m. Annabelle Renee was born on October 7, 2009 weighting 4lbs 10 oz 18.5 inches long. DH got to cut the cord, ran over to take pictures. We got her foot prints inked in our baby book. I got to hold her for about 1 minute before they took her to the NICU. DH stayed with me while I got stitched up, I had a small tear. 

DH went to the NICU to be with her. I was unable to go down to see her until the following day, when I was taken off of the MS. It was really hard seeing my baby girl in the NICU, but we survived. Annabelle only spent 12 days in the NICU.

I was diagnosed with pre-e and high blood pressure that's why they took the baby so early. 

Re: Annabelle's Early Arrival (Birth Story)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"