New York Babies

St. Luke's-Roosevelt-

Anyone plan on delivering at St. Luke's on 58th and 10th Ave?  I went on a tour last night and am debating trying to get a private room.  It's about $800-850 but I'm thinking may be worth it.  (I have a flex health spending plan so coverage isn't an issue.)  WWYD?

Re: St. Luke's-Roosevelt-

• I plan to deliver there. ?I live in Brooklyn so I'm hoping I can make it there okay when the time comes. ?I haven't gone on the tour yet. ?I didn't know you have to share a room, that really sucks!!!!! Uhhhg, I don't want to share just because I want to be able to sleep when I don't have guests or a baby crying & if you share you also have to worry about someone else's guests & crying baby! ?But on the other hand I don't want to spend $800. ?I'll have to wait for our tour & talk it over with DH.

When are you due? ?Do you know if they have birthing classes there? ?My OB hasn't given me any info on the hospital yet. ?I don't know if he's waiting until I'm further around??

• I delivered there and it's $800/night.  You should both know that SLR keeps you at the hospital for 2 days so be prepared to shell out $1600 if you want a private room (which we did). 

Was it worth it?  

Yes.  The room was very spacious, the baby slept in the room with us, plus, my husband had a cot to sleep on in the room with us.  The food was good (nothing amazing) and you could order off a big menu.  Plus, you have a private bathroom en suite and all of the private rooms are located on a floor for private rooms only so it's very quiet. 

MH and I ended up splitting the cost, but honestly to be able to have that space completely to myself and spend time with the baby made it 100% worth it for me.  I was so out of it after the delivery that I couldn't imagine having to share a room with a stranger and have their family in the room when I wanted to rest (and yes you will want to be in bed a lot). 

Hope this helps! 

• Loading the player...
  • I am planning on delivering at SLR, but in their birthing center, if all goes according to plan.  I know I stay in the birthing room the first night, and then if need be I would switch to either a shared or private room.  We are still up in the air about shelling out the xtra $$... We will have our birthing center/hospital prep class there next month, and will likely make our decision then.

There is a great woman at SLR named Jo, she sets up the tours/classes etc.  They do have a lamaze class at the hospital I believe it's $250-275. We are doing our class at realbirth https://www.realbirth.com/ , a they have locations that are closer by, and also different classes for women who plan on getting an epidural, and those who don't.

• I'm delivering at SLR and don't think I am shelling out the extra money for the private room.  If I get into my room and the person I am sharing a room with drives me absolutely bonkers, I may put in a request for a private room and see if I can get one, but to me the cost doesn't seem worth it.  I don't have a car and I don't care that much about the chef prepared meals. I can always have my husband bring me something from the place outside the outside the hospital to eat. 

As for classes, I did the Lamaze class at SLR through their Parent/Family Education Center and it was great.  They seem to advocate for natural childbirth, but also give you great info on pain management including narcotics and an epidural.  I think the class was great for me and my husband as new parents.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"