2nd Trimester

Anyone taken Afrin Nasal Spray while pregnant?

I've been really sick with nasal/sinus congestion for over a week and my doctor jut suggested Afrin nasal spray to alleviate the congestion.

Have any of you taken it and has it helped you? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone taken Afrin Nasal Spray while pregnant?

• my doc told me the straight up salt water spray was best or use a netti pot, but if your doc says it's alright I'm sure it is.
    DD1 - 2010 TTC v2.0
  • You have to be careful with Afrin.  Its highly addictive...not in the you'll start jonesin for it kind of way, but if you use it regularly youll eventually need it to breathe.  I would try a neti pot and saline spray with some sudafed to see if that works before using Afrin. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes - I've used it with both pregnancies. In order for it to become addictive, you need to use it for a long time very frequently. Once/twice a day for a week or so isn't going to cause you to "need" it to breathe.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm in the process of trying to wean DH off Afrin and he's absolutely MISERABLE, especially at night. So the addiction part is definitely a factor. 

Also, Afrin causes your blood vessels to constrict, not only in your nose but in other places in the body, which can be harmful to the baby. 

• i've used it and need it at night

but in order to prevent my nasal membranes from 'craving' it and becoming 'addicted' I never use it during the day time hours.  I only take it once before bed, it lasts for 12 hrs, then I am off of it for 12hrs.  I have been using it this way since I was a kid, for every cold/sinus infection, and I have NEVER been addicted to it.  I figure I can suffer throughout the day but as along as I have a good night sleep, it is worth it.   be careful with sudafed, everyone in my family gets hyper from it.  for me, its like drinking two cups of coffee before bed.  I can never take it at night

i recommend the neti pot too.  its great to relieve day time congestion ,but nothing else helps like afrin at night.  

• I used it with my last pregnancy. It worked great for me.
  • Works really well but also is very drying and can have same effects as sudafed (increase hr and bp in some people). I used it at bedtime to i could get some sleep. But i only do one spray instead of the 2 on the package because otherwise it made my nose burn!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"