Florida Babies
Options

Pediatrician suggestions!!!

I've only lived in the Tampa area for about 2 years and am expecting my first child February 3rd. I'm to the point now where I need to pick a pediatrician and my problem is I don't really know anyone with children, who could give me some names. Who are some good pediatricians in the New Port Richey area??

Re: Pediatrician suggestions!!!

• Options

I am in Tampa Palms and our Pedi is in Lutz.  I know that may be a hike for you but she is wonderful.  We had our first child in April and she is a preemie so we were extra careful when picking out a doc. 

Her name is Dr. Yanina Fiallos and she is in Lutz on Dale Mabry Hwy.  HTH!

imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Congrats to you both!  I have not yet begun the journey, but figured it is never too early to plan.

I posted right before this post, but maybe you ladies might be able to help shed some light.  Do pediatricians and OB/GYN's ever overlap, meaning, is it possible to find an OB that also does pediatrics, or once you have the baby, do you switch to a pediatrician?  I don't currently have a primary care physician, which is one less resource to ask these questions...  any help would be appreciated!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thank you, Lauren!  Motherhood is awesome and exhausting.  :)

I am unsure if some docs overlap but I bet if you find a great OB they can recommend a wonderful Pedi.  Our pedi suggestion came from nurses in the NICU a few days after LO was born.

Anything else, just ask.

• Options
    I must say, i love your picture! super adorable!
  • Options

Hey Jenny,

Do you think I should find an OB prior to conception?  I am currently reading a couple of baby books that talk about asking different questions pre-conception, but I am wondering if I can get an OB for that, or just a regular doc? 

• Options

imagebabyroca718:
    I must say, i love your picture! super adorable!

Thank you, our LO is a handful but the light of our lives.

• Options

Hey Lauren, 

I highly rec having an OB in place prior to conception!  I unfortunately wasn't aware of some minor medical issues I had that only an OB could help solve.  Also, you need to feel completely comfy with your doc as you will see him/her or the entire practice quite frequently.

:) 

• Options
    I am not even TTC yet and this has been extremely helpful so far!  Thank you!  My concern now is about insurance....love it and hate it, haha.  I am wondering if insurance will cover going to an OB pre-conception...  I guess if it is an OB/GYN than it would be like I am going for a normal women exam.
  • Options
    I am so glad, Lauren, anytime.  Yes, they should cover a yearly pap screening and exam.  At the time, discuss with the do your options/issues, etc.  Good insurance is key b/c babies are xpensive enough!  :)
  • Options

I live in the NPR area and have two doctors that I would not recommend based on their office practices.  The office is Trinity Women's Care and they are doctor's Haag and Dinsmore.  They were both wonderful OBs.  They took wonderful care of me and my delivery was quick and easy.

However ... IMO, of course, their privacy practices in the front office are not strict enough.  I overheard MANY conversations at the front window I did not need to hear.  Also, I waited an hour + for every appointment.  Even when they were just my GYN office.  There were some other things that happened that rubbed me the wrong way - not asking if I wanted certain tests at the right time and then it being too late, not telling me test results in a timely fashion, not sizing the baby pre-birth, etc. 

Make sure you choose your OB based on the hospital where you want to deliver.  I delivered at Community Hospital.  While it was a good experience and I didn't lack anything in terms of medical care, they do not have a NICU.  If something had gone wrong w/DD, we would've been transferred  Luckily, that was not an issue for us.  Maybe you'll deliver by the time the new Community Hospital is open, but if not, it's something to think about.  I've heard rave reviews about Helen Ellis.

I'm (over)due for my annual and am looking for a new GYN.  If I have a good experience with a new doc, I'll let you know.

imageimage
  • Options
    Duh.  Back to the original ?, we use Dr. Jara of Caring Pediatrics (www.caringpediatrics.com) and I love love love love love her.  She was there when DD was delivered and we have used her ever since.  She takes a lot of diff. insurances, too. 
    imageimage
  • Options
    Wow - good advice, Nicole.  My DD is a preemie and had a 24 day NICU stay and I would have cried if she needed to be transferred.  UCH Women's center took wonderful care of me and my DD - they're right on BBD.  I know it's kind of a hike from NPR but maybe worth it.
  • Options
    We use North Pinellas Children's Medical...they are a group of pediatricians.  You pick your primary pediatrician from the group and usually will get to see that dr unless it's a last minute appointment, then you may have to see a different doctor.  We use Dr. Mitchell.  The practice has been around for YEARS and they have multiple locations in Pinellas County and their Pasco one on 54, just east of Duck Slough.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"