Eco-Friendly Family

Cloth Diaper questions

Hi-

I'm thinking about using a local cloth diapering service, but I was wondering what you do with the dirty diapers when you are out-and-about? 

I was thinking for overnight or longer trips it would be best to use disposables, right?  

Does anyone have any recommendations about the best kinds of diaper covers to get?

Any advice would be great!

Re: Cloth Diaper questions

• I don't know about the diaper service because I just wash mine at home. 

When I'm out and about I put the dirty diapers in a small "wet bag," which is just a cloth bag lined with PUL that is waterproof and can be washed. 

For overnight and longer trips, I think it would be easier to just use disposables. 

Best diaper covers are definitely thirsties duos (IMO).  I have tried a number of different types and these are definitely the trimmest, best quality, best fitting, and I have never had a leak with these! 

Good luck! 

• ditto the PP, but we usually just take our diaper pail wet liner w/ us for overnights. It doesn't seal at the top, but it is big enough to twist closed. If I was flying or had very limited space I'd probably use disposables for longer trips.

And my favorite cover is the imse vimsie cover. thirsties gets second place. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • You will want to invest in a wet bag.  They sell them everywhere - diaper stores, Amazon, Etsy, Hyena Cart.  You will want one that is about 12" square or thatabouts.  This bag will keep in moisture and ickiness until you can get home and dump the diapers in your pail.  Then the bag can go in the washer and dryer.  Get a zip-top, it makes life easier and wet diapers less likely to leak on the rest of the diaper bag.

Many use prefolds for nighttime.  Stick around here and Google, but some people double up prefolds, add inserts, etc.  but prefolds CAN be used for nighttime and long car rides no problem.

As for covers, I am another Thirsties fan, though I have never tried the Duos.  I had the sized nad loved them.  As a newborn though, I prefered the Bummis Super Brites - they seemed to fit my DD better.

For nighttime you may want to consider wool or fleece - these materials will keep the bed dry, your baby's skin happy and not hot under plastic.  I have found wool to be far more reliable at night - she can go 12 hours without a change.  Again, stick around this board and you can learn plenty more about wool!

Welcome!

• We wash our own diapers and we use a metal pail with a lid we got from Lowes (we line it with a pillow case).  We never have smell issues.  When we go out and about we use a Wammie small diaper bag (actually it also goes to daycare) and we have a larger one for home that's near the changing table.  Frankly I think its easier and safer to CD when your out and about because you don't have to walk away from the changing station to throw away diapers and wipes (we use cloth wipes as well).  As for overnight, LO was STTN (12 hours) since 8 weeks old and we only use cloth and never have had an issue (LO is over 1 years old now). 

We like to stay with cotton diapers because there's less change of repelling and staining issues.  We use prefolds and Motherease Sandy's diapers with a stay dry linre (for bedtime I add a hemp doubler).  As for covers, I would have said Thirsties are my favorite however I find the velcro isn't holding up as great now that LO has been in the same size cover for over 9 months.  Our favorite cover now is Booroi Side Snap diaper cover.  Obviously it has snaps so it will last longer and it has leg gussets (which was hard to find with a snap cover).

• Wow- Thank you all so much!  I am saving all these notes!  You're wonderful. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"