Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

S/O of the religion discussion

A hypothetical situation.

Your husband's childhood friend and his family come to stay with you as houseguests. They have different religious beliefs and are aware of yours. After they leave you find they've left behind literature for you. Shortly after, a member of their church calls because they heard from your friends that you'd like to hear the good news, and a missionary shows up at your door.

What would your reaction be?

Re: S/O of the religion discussion

• I'd probably not ever invite them over again and be slightly irritated.
  • Politely tell the missionary " No thank you" and drop it.  If the friends bring up the religion issue again I would politely tell them that I am happy with my current church ( or whatever is fitting).  If they keep trying to convert me I would finally tell them that it is not up for discussion and if they continue to bring it up I will hang up / leave.  I would then follow through if needed. 

• Loading the player...
  • I would be very annoyed. The flyer is one thing, but it was totally inappropriate to give your phone # and address out. RUDE!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I would tell the people at the door that you are happy with your spot in life and to please leave. Then I would tell the friends that I didn't appreciate having there beliefs pushed on me especially when I don't try to push mine on them. 

Then I would sign them up for samples of Enzyite to be delivered at home & work.  

• I'd be pissed.  I think it's terrible when friends try to convert you when they know your beliefs.  I have a friend like this.  She tries to get us to her church on a regular basis even though she knows we don't have any desire to attend.  She even uses her kids by saying that her DD "M" was wondering if we wanted to come to their church. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageTheNerdyKatie:

I would tell the people at the door that you are happy with your spot in life and to please leave. Then I would tell the friends that I didn't appreciate having there beliefs pushed on me especially when I don't try to push mine on them. 

Then I would sign them up for samples of Enzyite to be delivered at home & work.  

Katie, I just had to stifle my laughter in a pile of fabric so I wouldn't wake Adam.

And the best part is that I know you would.

• I'd be pissed.  I have no problem with other people practicing their religion of choice, but presuming that I need or want to "be saved" is offensive.
  • This is a hot button for me. Religion is such a personal and complex thing, I cannot stand it when people impose it on others. I would politely send the missionary away (after all, they don't know) and write a strongly worded email to my friends about respecting personal beliefs and boundaries, especially in my own home.
  • imagestephm0188:
    imageTheNerdyKatie:

I would tell the people at the door that you are happy with your spot in life and to please leave. Then I would tell the friends that I didn't appreciate having there beliefs pushed on me especially when I don't try to push mine on them. 

Katie, I just had to stifle my laughter in a pile of fabric so I wouldn't wake Adam.

And the best part is that I know you would.

Shoot, would? I have!!! Whenever I had a boss that would piss me off they would get a nice sample in the mail!!!! 

• Explain to the missionary that you received the literature and would prefer not to discuss  it with them.  I would reiterate to your DH's friend that you are "all set" in the religion category. 

I would not be upset, angry or even annoyed. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Honestly, I'd laugh.  My husband and I are both ex-Mormons and my best friend from high school bought us a gift subscription to the Ensign, which is the church magazine.  I was a little peeved that she went behind my back and did that, as though she was "doing me a favor" and trying to "bring me back to God," but after a few months, we called and had it canceled.  It was just a giant waste of trees.
  • I had to google Enzyte. LOL. Awesome.
  • I'd probably mail them the brochure back with a little note saying "I noticed you forgot this, and I am sure you're missing it. I know how important your religion is to you, and I'm sure you'd miss being able to share this with those who want it."

But I'm passive-agressive like that.

• The literature would be mildly irritating. The follow up with the local theological SWAT team? The absolute end. And Matthew would feel the same.

• Wow. I couldn't imagine someone doing that. I have friends of different religions and no religion at all. We've talked about our beliefs from time to time, and while I do want everyone to know the love of Jesus that I know, we do no more than share our thoughts. Telling someone about your faith does not equal "shoving it down their throat" blah blah blah. Leaving flyers and sending over missionaries surely does.
  • I can't imagine having friends that weird and I have friends of a lot of different religions. I think that shows a lack of respect as well as backbone. If they were so concerned about your eternal damnation, why couldn't they mention it over dinner?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageTess12:
    I'd be pissed.  I have no problem with other people practicing their religion of choice, but presuming that I need or want to "be saved" is offensive.

Ditto.  And I'd be sure to mention that I didn't appreciate their little stunt either.

• I'd be extremely pissed off. I try to be very respectful of others desires for religious beliefs and if they clearly knew my stance I'd feel very betrayed and pushed-upon (and judged) if they had someone call and sent a missionary! Good grief. DH's parents kept sending me pamphlets about being saved and before we were married I finally sent them a 3 letter page asking them to kindly stop and respect my desire for 'personal' views. (And they did, and they were very nice about it and appreciated my honesty/up frontness, even if they think I'm damned :P)

I have no patience for things being shoved down my throat, nevermind religion!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"