Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Runny eye

I plan on calling DR in the AM but my LO has a watery eye and it keeps getting goopy. Shes not fussy or anything but just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and what you were told to do. Shes only 2 weeks old.

Re: Runny eye

• We have the same problem with DS.  The pedi said he has clogged tear ducts and to try to put a warm washcloth on his eye for five min a day... we don't usually get to do it for that long, but we do set it on his eye for a little bit and it helps.  It seems like it happens to a lot of babies. 
  • Clogged tear duct...my ds has this and my DS1 had it too.  DS2 is a month old and still has it.  My pedi nurse said it can last a few months.  Masage between his eye and nose this helps.
  • Loading the player...
  • DD also had clogged tear ducts and we had to put a warm washcloth over her eye for 1 minute every 3 hours and massage the tear ducts.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • This exact thing started happening around when Claire was 2 weeks old, so my doctor gave me drops for her eyes after talking to him on the phone because so many sick people had been coming into the office he wanted me to avoid bringing her around it. I used it as directed for a week and their was no change, so I ended up bringing her in. It turns out in our case and maybe yours 6% of babies are born with their tear ducts turned slightly in, because of this the eye is unable to flush its self out correctly making it watery and a little gunk or build up in the corner of the eye. I thought ok so what do we do about this...the doctor told me that baby as she grows, the duct will turn on its own, it can take anywhere from 6 months to a year to grow out of, so Claire bear still has it and we just clean it out for her. Hope this helps.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"