Parenting

WWYD: DD's dance class

DD is 2.5 years.  She went with the DD of a girl at work (DDs are 6 months apart) to bring a friend to dance about 2 weeks ago.  DD loved it so I signed her up.  She went to the 3-4 yr old class but I put her in the mommie and me class.  I figured I wouldn't have the chance to dance with her again and that seemed to be the age appropriate place for her.  We went to our first class tonight.  DD had fun but I wasn't real impressed.  The teacher spent the first 10 minutes getting the music straight.  Then the teacher either forgot moves or did moves at the wrong times.  Seriously? Mommie and me moves are not difficult.  She messed up so much that I couldn't even follow what she was doing.  Also, there was another child running laps at warp speed around the room the entire time.  The mom didn't do much to stop her.  I'm not sure if all this is the usual or just an off night.  I could move DD to the 3-4 yr old class (no big deal with dance place since she is 3 in March).  Tonight I just felt like DD didn't try to mimic any moves and she did in the other class.  Parents aren't in the other class (they watch on a TV) so maybe me being in there distracted her?  At once point all the other kids were following the runner and running around.  Lucky for me DD didn't.  I know they are only 2 year olds but the teacher didn't seem to have much control or organization.  Would you switch DD to the other class?  FWIW my friend whose DD is in the 3-4 yr old class thinks DD is plenty mature enough to handle it. 

Re: WWYD: DD's dance class

• I have DD in a mommy and me ballet class too. In this class, the parents are required to participate and they do actual ballet moves during the whole class. The teacher also starts rght on time and has the class all written out beforehand.

I would probably look into the other class.

Audrey Elizabeth 11-11-06 image
  • I'd switch for sure.  You can run around and dance with her at home for free:)
  • Loading the player...
  • The purpose of dance class for a 2 year old is to have fun. You certainly didnt have fun and it doesnt sound like she enjoyed it all that much either. I'd switch her to the other class.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"