Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Do you swaddle before or after LO falls asleep?

My LO hates to be swaddled, but it is the only way she stays asleep, as she seems to like to rub her hands all over her face.  I have tried swaddling her after she has fallen asleep for the night, but often times she wakes up when I am doing so, this after it has already taken me maybe 30-45 minutes to get her down.  I sometimes swaddle her before she falls asleep, but she is very resistant and cries a lot.  I am wondering which is better and if I should teach her that swaddle means bedtime, or just spend 2 + hours trying to get her to sleep w/o it.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

Re: Do you swaddle before or after LO falls asleep?

• Options
    Normally I do it afterward, BUT I have found recently that if he is crying, swaddling him and holding him can help him calm down because it keeps his uncontrollably flailing limbs secure.
  • Options
    We swaddle before but keep her hands out 'cause she likes to explore them. Would tightly tucking the blanket around her work? Or maybe she wouldn't mind swaddling if her hands are free? (We put mittens on her when her nails aren't long enough to cut but long enough to scratch her face up.)
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Before, it helps calm him down. We swaddle him anytime he's really fussy.

"For a long time there were only your footprints & laughter in our dreams & even from such small things, we knew we could not wait to love you forever." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DS hated swaddling for a while, so we would just leave his arms free.  Keep trying to do the full swaddle, though, because one day we swaddled DS with his arms tucked in and he immediately settled down.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Options

I do both.  If I know she's fussy because she's tired, I swaddle her and cradle hold her to calm her down.  If she falls asleep eating, I swaddle her before I put her down in her bed. 

I usually "double" swaddle her at night.  I use a receiving blanket to swaddle, then use a larger blanket to wrap around her to keep her from breaking the swaddle.  It is the only thing that allows the swaddle to last more than 5 minutes!  And she has been sleeping a lot longer at night when I do this.

• Options

Before.

She used to fight it more but now I think she takes it as a cue that it's time to sleep. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• Options

Our babies have the same birthday : )

I swaddle DD tightly at night after she's sleeping.  Sometimes she wakes up while I'm swaddling and I just finish up and then hold her really close/tight and rock her back to sleep, usually takes about 30 seconds.   

• Options

imageJessie0706:
    We swaddle before but keep her hands out 'cause she likes to explore them. Would tightly tucking the blanket around her work? Or maybe she wouldn't mind swaddling if her hands are free? (We put mittens on her when her nails aren't long enough to cut but long enough to scratch her face up.)

Yes, I think this is the method I am going to have to use.  She really does hate swaddling and only falls asleep after tiring from fighting her way out.  I guess I am just going to have to be patient!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options

We swaddle for bed time.  She cries a lot while we do it but when we are done we pick her up, turn her face towards our body, and shhh loudly in her ear.  She immediately calms down.

Take a peek at Happiest Baby on the Block for great calming tips.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"