Feeding Schedule? — The Bump
Breastfeeding

Feeding Schedule?

DS will be 6 weeks this Friday and there is no schedule to our feedings at all, and I'm not sure if there should be or not?  My mom BF all 5 of her children, and she keeps telling me that I need to get DS on a schedule and she says that she had all of her kids mostly sleeping through the night by this point in time. 

But I have been feeding on demand.  Sometimes DS goes 2-3 hours between feedings, and sometimes he nurses for 5 minutes, falls asleep, wakes up 30 minutes later and wants to nurse again.  Almost every night he nurses off and on from 8pm - midnight.  Then he'll sleep anywhere from 2 - 5 hours.  Is this normal and OK?  Or should I be trying to establish some sort of feeding pattern?  

Also, if I continue to feed on demand, will he eventually establish his own schedule?  Nursing the way I have been works for now, but at 12 weeks I have to return to work and we'll need to have some sort of schedule by then.  When and how does this get established?   

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Feeding Schedule?

• I'm not sure if it is because Henry was on bottles for the first 6 weeks of his life or not, but he is on an eat every 4 hours schedule.  The only time he isn't is in the mornings after he sleeps longer than 4 hours.  DH will feed him 5oz of pumped milk and then about 2 hours later I will nurse him.

Since I'm new at BFing I am nervous he's not eating enough, but he's getting enough wet/dirty diapers so I guess we are fine.

If Henry wanted to feed at different times I'd oblige.  He just happens to be on a schedule.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oh and if he falls asleep during a feeding I do wake him up by tickling his side and rubbing his head.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My ds eats every 3 hours. I feed on demand but it just happens to be 3 hours day or night.
  • I have always nursed on demand, my DS was all over like yours in the beginning, only one difference he never nursed and wanted to in 30min.  We are now more on a schedule but that only came about 2 weeks ago or so.  He nurses now just about every 2 hours during the day.  At night he nurses between 8 or 9 then sleeps till 2 or 3, then up in 3 hours, up for the day between 7 or 8.  Just give it time and he will probably make his own schedule eventually. 
  • My son is the same way. Although, he is only a week old... I do need/want to establish some kind of schedule because I have to go back to work in 7 more weeks.
  • I think feeding on demand is always best.

As for STTN - read this: http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/sleep.html.  It's very unusual for a 6 week old to STTN so don't feel like you are doing something wrong because your baby doesn't.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards