Washington Babies
Options

Difficult work dilema

This is hypothetical as of now, but the work rumor mill tends to run true.  So right now, rumor is, I'm getting moved into a different department, one that would cause me to work major overtime, possibly 12-14 hour days, 5 days a week. While the money would be nice, the hours are not compatible with my family.  DH is already going to be working overtime at his new job, and I was supposed to pick up the slack with Donovan.

Unfortunently, with my company, if you are asked to change departments, they only give you two options. 1)go to the new department. 2) quit. 

I can't quit, our healthcare is under my plan and we don't know quite how much money DH will be making at his new job.  BUT I can't work 12-14 hour days!

What do I do?

Re: Difficult work dilema

• Options
    Can you look for work somewhere else?  I would take the transfer and then look super hard to find a new job.
    T-man (07/27/05, 2:52pm, 10 lbs, 2 oz, 22") My Blog
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
    TTC #2 for a million years: SA normal, CD 23 bloodwork shows nothing amiss, ovulation detected. Next step: ? maybe CD3 bloodwork to check eggs? All out of pocket, so limited IF tests/treatments.
  • Options

imagebaby_austin7/25:
    Can you look for work somewhere else?  I would take the transfer and then look super hard to find a new job.

Ditto

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Wow, tough one.  Love their flexibility!  Can you take it and then apply for an internal transfer to something else you'd like to do better?  You could also take it and have a heart to heart with your manager that your family situation is not allowing you the OT required

Another thought:  Could the extra money help you look for a new provider that would work better hours?  We have to pay more but found a place that is open 7 to 6:30 because I travel a lot and we have to have some flexibility with DH's schedule. 

BIG Brother born 10/19/07 little Brother born 1/31/12
  • Options
    Rifht now its still a rumor so you don't know what will happen or when yet. Wait until it happens and then start looking for another job. If you tell them you won't go to another dept at least then they will HAVE to lay you off and at that point you could collect unemployment until you find something else.
    imageimage Brothers! image
  • Options
    Personally I'd brush up my resume and start looking for a new job now.  Even if the rumors don't end up being true, I think it is good to check out your options in the job marketplace on a regular basis.

Jen - Mom to Jillian (10/2008) and Hayden (4/2010)

My Blog

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"