Northern California Babies

Baby Sign... what did you start with?

We're working on being consistent with sign... and I was wondering which signs you all started with.  We're trying out milk, eat, all done, and more.  

Which did you start with?

Which was the first sign your LO returned?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Baby Sign... what did you start with?

• we started with more... we started too early (6 months!?) and it took until she was 8-10 months to sign that one back. She didn't pick up more signs until she was just over a year.

Signs we worked on:

Please, milk, all done, more, bath, change (diaper change), trees, wind, airplane, blowing kisses (not a sign but non verbal communication) and I made one up for cute.

I *think* that's it.

• The ones you mentioned were the ones we started with.

The first sign that he used was "all done" and from there he caught on to the rest of them super fast. His most used signs were; please, thank you and milk.

We started signing to him at 6 months (though not consistently) and he started signing back at 12 months.

Greyson Ray ~ July 31 2006 | WinterRose Elizabeth ~ April 28th 2010 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    The Blog | BirthbyKellyM
  • Loading the player...
  • Those are great first signs.  We started out with milk and that was the first one DS returned.

We haven't really introduced many and it is biting us in the butt right now.  DS does milk, all done, please (his own, not ASL), what/where/i don't know, and hi/bye.

For help we have turned to Baby Signing Time videos. We borrowed ours from the library but they are also available online.  A woman sings and signs and the videos feature babies (like 12+ months) signing along with her.

• We've signed from birth with a lot of daily use signs - milk, more, please, thank you, eat, sleep, change, help, finished, etc.

For both my kids, their first sign was milk -- for Ryan at 8 months and Aaron at 9. 

• We are the most consistent with more, but we've also been doing all done & milk.

We haven't seen her sign back but she's become more interested (as oppposed to just looking at me like WTF is that mom?!)

• We started with milk, all done, more, please, and eat. 

Her first sign was milk around 10 months.  Funny story...when she woke up at night I'd look at her and see this tiny fist raised in the air signing milk.  

• imagepainter's_palate:

We started with milk, all done, more, please, and eat. 

Her first sign was milk around 10 months.  Funny story...when she woke up at night I'd look at her and see this tiny fist raised in the air signing milk.  

THAT"s so cute!!

• We have been working on all done, more, and food/eat. We also blow kisses constantly and she does a lip smack that we take as her version blowing kisses. I think she gets the signs, but she has not been doing them back yet.
  • We did MILK consistantly from 6 months on.  He signed that back (checking blog!) about 9 months.  Once we really reinforced that sign we did MORE, ALL DONE, EAT, WATER, BATH, CHANGE.  He signed all those back around 10 months.  Once we both understood each other, lol, I learned a bunch of signs and would sign things he was interested in.  WANT, FAN, LIGHT, UP, DOWN, HOT...all sorts of stuff.

Since he's been talking he's dropped some signs, and I'm alright with that.  Some words he just can't say well yet (like milk) so it's always a sign.  I know some people want to teach ASL as a second language starting as a babe but I really did it to get over the with it but not yet talking hump. 

• started with signing time video and its fantastic!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"