Nurseries and Baby Gear

Convertible Car seat

I am so confused on what to look for - much less what to get.

Any suggestions or advice?

Or recommedations for ones you have and like?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Convertible Car seat

• Britax brand gets really good reviews. Check out Baby Bargains book if you can.
  • We used the Graco SnugRide until DS was about 4.5 months and then switched to the Britax Roundabout.  DS was getting too cramped in the SnugRide and wasn't very happy riding in the car for long periods of time.  We made the transition to the Roundabout, and he now LOVES being in the car.  We have a 2008 Subaru Outback wagon, and the seat is installed on the passenger side. It takes up a good amount of room, so the front passenger seat is a little cramped, but I think this is the case with most carseats when they're rear-facing.  Even though I can now face him front, I've decided to keep him rear-facing for at least another year since it's safer.  

• Loading the player...
  • We have the Britax marathon and love it.  It's super easy to install, the covers are soft and wash very well.  Also you can rear face with them up to 35 lbs and forward face up to 65.  Oh, and they have these things on the straps called HUGS which keep them from getting twisted.  Did I mention I love the marathon?
  • I have read great things about the first years true fit and plan on going withthat as long as it fits properly in my car
  • Unless you plan on putting your baby in a Convertible car seat from birth, I'd skip worrying about one for now. They expire anywhere from 6 years to 8 years from when they were manufactured, so if you use an infant seat with your baby and buy one before baby is born, you're going to lose time with those (most on the shelves are about 2-3 months old, if your infant is in an infant seat until 9 months, you'll have lost at least a year of life in the seat if you bought it before baby was born).

If you're going with a convertible car seat from birth, the First Years True Fit or True Fit Premiere or the new Radians (65SL, 80SL, XTSL) all fit newborns well and have long expirations (8 years for Radians, 7 years for True Fits), and tall top slots, meaning the chances of getting a child from newborn to booster age/height/weight are very good. ?

Mom to J (10), L (4), and baby #3 arriving in July of 2015
  • you're good to go as long as you stay within the britax brand.  i can't speak to any other brand (though i'm sure there are other good ones out there!) but i've done a ton of research into britax seats and i'm convinced of their greatness :)  the roundabout will only go up to 40ish pounds so it's not a great investment for down the road....  the marathon, boulevard and decathlon are all 65 pound weight limits so it gives you more bang for your buck.
  • Britax Brand.  We are using an infant carrier then switching to the Britax Advocate later!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"