Special Needs

Seizure in infant

I haven't been on here in a while and honestly don't know where to post this, so I am trying here.

Has anyone had a child with seizures?  My dd had one a week and a half ago.  She was sick at the time, but no fever.  Her illness was due to a bad reaction to her Rotavirus vaccine (per her dr.).  She had an EEG (still waiting on results) and sees a Pediatric Neurologist tomorrow. 

I guess I'm just looking for any insight on what to expect tomorrow at the Neurologist and where we may go from here.  Any questions that you think I should ask would be great too.  I am so paranoid it will happen again and check on her all the time at night (the episode I caught was in the middle of the night).  I am really trying to stay away from Google right now because I know if I search on it I will freak myself out.

ETA - I did notice the question below but didn't know if the eval for a seizure would be the same.

Re: Seizure in infant

• Well, my son will be 3 on Friday, so her treatment may be slightly different but here is what we went through.

I took him to his pedi b/c he had been grabbing his head, waking in the middle of the night, and sometimes getting so upset he'd tense up his body and start growling with zero eye contact and a glazed, far away look. Also, he had staring spells often. He had an EEG that came back abnormal so we were sent to a neurologist. Since we had never seen something that we could say FOR sure was a seizure, the Dr ordered another EEG. He also ordered an MRI. DS is having them both done on Wednesday. He was also started on an antiseizure medication until we could figure out what was truly going on. Thursday he had a full blown seizure. There was no denying it b/c he couldn't talk or walk afterwards. So now we know he's having seizures and we hope the MRI will tell why.

Will the neurologist have the results to the EEG? At her age, I would assume that he would need those results to know what to do as far as treatment goes. Since she was ill when she had the seizure, the Dr may suggest you just watch her and report back if she has another episode. However, if her EEG is abnormal they may start her on an antiseizure med and order further testing. Good luck!

Nia, Mom to Jayden Michael, Born 12/04/06, Adopted 12/07/06
    And Elias Parker, Born 3.5 weeks early 12/20/2011 image
    FINALLY!!! After 7 years of infertility! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DD started having seizures when she was 2 wks old.  She has had several EEGs, an MRI, CT Scan, countless blood tests and everything has come back normal.  She was diagnosed with epilesy and started on anti-seizure medication when she was 5 months old.  That is when she had a 2nd cluster of seizures.  Typically they won't start medicine after just 1 episode unless there is an obvious problem on the EEG.  My only advice for the neurologist appointment is maybe pre-write down your observations of the seizure episode you witnessed. I know for me when my DD 1st started having seizures I was so freaked it was hard to pay attention to some of the details they would ask like did her head turn a certain way, etc.  Writing things down helped me a lot.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • poor baby :(    My DS was sick when he had his first seizure at 15 months with no fever.  It was really out of the blue.  At the neuro appointment they looked at how he's achieving milestones, any muscle tone abnormalities/neurologic signs, and asked a lot about the episode.  They will probably go over the eeg results.  What sucks so much about seizures is that a lot of times they can't explain why.  They did not put DS on medicine till his 3rd episode.  He had an episode every 5/6 months or so.  hope this answers your questions...
  • I think the previous posts have a lot of good thoughts and info.  My son had his first seizure at 7 months.  At the time they found out the seizure was due to a brain abnormality.  When he has a seizure they are only on the left side of his body since the abnormality is on the right side of the brain.  He is on Tegratol now and we have diastat for him incase his seizure lasts more than 5 minutes (which they typicall do).  I would ask if Diastat is something that you should maybe have on hand.  Last time I gave it to Aaron it worked within seconds and he came out of his seizure.  My DS has seizures when he gets a virus.  It has nothing to do with a fever it is the actual virus that triggers seizures for him.  Viruses lower ones threshold to tollerate seizures.  This is true for everyone.  If you go to the Epilepsy foundation website they have some papers that you can print off that help you record what happens when your DD has a seizure.  I think this might be very helpful for the Drs. to know exactly what she does when she has a seizure.  The EEG and an MRI will show the Drs. a lot!!!  Let me know if you have any questions.  Hope the appt. went well!
  • Thank you so much!  We saw the doc this morning and her EEG was "mildly" abnormal.  She had some peaks that were higher than they should be.  Because she was almost a month early, the doc said the abnormal results could be related to her being so young.  It's hard to tell at this point.  She wants to do an MRI next week.  She will have to be sedated, which is worrying me of course.  Her milestones are a bit off, but nothing crazy that can't be attributed to her early arrival.  They also want to do a follow up EEG in 3 months to compare to the first one.

I did like you said and wrote everything down that I could remember.  I was so freaked out when it happened that everything did seem like a blur when the panic of course set in.

They did not put her on daily meds because like most of you said, she only had one single episode.  They did give me a med to keep on hand in case she has another one and it lasts for longer than 3 minutes.  Its a gel or liquid that is inserted rectally called Diastat.  Anyone have any experience with this med?

Thank you so much for your info.  I used to frequent here in my pregnancy but since having her I have minimal time especially since returning to work.  I just didn't know where to turn for experience or advice and I really appreciate all of your help on here.

• imageOctBaltBride:
    diastat for him incase his seizure lasts more than 5 minutes (which they typicall do).  I would ask if Diastat is something that you should maybe have on hand.  Last time I gave it to Aaron it worked within seconds and he came out of his seizure. 

Somehow I missed this when reading your post the first time.  Glad to hear this.  I got a script for this.  Did you notice any adverse reactions to this med?

Also, since your sons are related to viruses, did anything appear on EEG MRI etc. or did they come back normal?

• Diastat is what we have given Aaron in the past.  I swear it worked almost instantly.  When he has a seizure he is unaware of what is going on and does not respond to us.  When we give him the Diastat it is almost like he is waking up.  He instantly comes out of the seizure (kinda like hey what is going on here).  Diastat is actually Valium.  It is in a gel formual and given rectally b/c it absorbes quickly that way.  It calms the brain down and stops the seizure activity.  He does fine with it other than between the seizure and Diastat he gets very tired.

If you find DD having a seizure again gently lay her on her side and free from anything that could hurt her.  Laying her on the side can help prevent her from choking during a seizure (not to scare you, it has never happened to us).

When we had our EEG it did show seizure activity in the part of his brain that is not formed properly.  That is when they said he needs to be on anti seizure meds.  The MRI also showed the spot that was not developed.  We knew instantly with the MRI that something was wrong.  It took the Drs. a few days to figure out exactly what the spot on his brain was (worst time of my life). 

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

• imageOctBaltBride:

Diastat is what we have given Aaron in the past.  I swear it worked almost instantly.  When he has a seizure he is unaware of what is going on and does not respond to us.  When we give him the Diastat it is almost like he is waking up.  He instantly comes out of the seizure (kinda like hey what is going on here).  Diastat is actually Valium.  It is in a gel formual and given rectally b/c it absorbes quickly that way.  It calms the brain down and stops the seizure activity.  He does fine with it other than between the seizure and Diastat he gets very tired.

If you find DD having a seizure again gently lay her on her side and free from anything that could hurt her.  Laying her on the side can help prevent her from choking during a seizure (not to scare you, it has never happened to us).

When we had our EEG it did show seizure activity in the part of his brain that is not formed properly.  That is when they said he needs to be on anti seizure meds.  The MRI also showed the spot that was not developed.  We knew instantly with the MRI that something was wrong.  It took the Drs. a few days to figure out exactly what the spot on his brain was (worst time of my life). 

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Thank you so much!  Other than abnormally high peaks the EEG was OK.  No seizure seen. 

I did lay her on her side and I did a swipe of her mouth with my finger to make sure there was not any vomit in her mouth.  I had taken a AED class at work on how to use the defribulator and seizure and shock was part of the first aid session during the class.  I felt lucky to know that.  You never think you are going to need it, but I did.

I may just take you up on contacting you with questions.  It seems like everyday I think of something else. Big Smile

• Feel free to email me with any questions. I remember for a while I was just so confused and didn't know a lot about seizures. You don't think much about seizures until some one you know has one. sharon_kroop@yahoo.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"