Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Is this normal for a first m/c?

My OB said the ER doctor sent my the "specimin" (read: baby) that was removed from my vagina while I was there to pathology to do testing and determine what (if anything) was wrong with the baby. I thought this was something that was only done for recurrent m/c. Perhaps because we saw the baby on U/S with a strong hb only a few days before the m/c? I'm glad that they're doing this because I'd like to know....I'm just surprised.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Is this normal for a first m/c?

• It is because there was a heartbeat, which makes the loss more of a medical surprise. At least, that is how it was explained to me.
  • I don't know...mine did not, my insurance doesn't cover any kind of testing until 3 losses.

With just one loss, I'm in the "fluke" category and the what, 1 in 4 pgs end in m/c statistic according to my insurance company. Gee, thanks, I sure feel like a fluke. F that.

Oh, man, I'm angry today.

BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

• Loading the player...
  • imageSonadora:
    With just one loss, I'm in the "fluke" category and the what, 1 in 4 pgs end in m/c statistic according to my insurance company. Gee, thanks, I sure feel like a fluke. F that.

But doesn't it make you feel sooooo much better to know "it's common." ?? PUKE.

• I asked my doctor today if they would be testing the baby, and she said they don't do that for a first m/c, only if it's a recurring thing. Maybe it varies per hospital? I'd kind of like to know, if for no other reason than maybe I could stop blaming myself for those 2 turkey sandwiches I ate, without heating the deli meat up.
  • imageMeghan1017:
    I'd kind of like to know, if for no other reason than maybe I could stop blaming myself for those 2 turkey sandwiches I ate, without heating the deli meat up.

So true. I've blamed my running, the "half caf / half decaf" coffee I had at Thanksgiving, the stress at my work, the ONE pnv I forgot to take, etc etc......

• They did it for me too, and it was a first m/c.  I actually assumed it was normal operating procedure for them to check it out.  We never even saw a hb so I am guessing that at least at my hospital it was just standard.
  • Mine was taken to pathology for testing because I passed the "specimen" in the ER. All they did was confirm that it was the baby. When I had my D&C two weeks later, my OB decided to send some tissue in for testing (mostly because she had the tissue). That test came back with the results that it wasn't a molar pregnancy and it was normal fetal tissue. At first, my OB had said that she doesn't do any testing until 3 m/s, not sure what changed her mind.
  • my hospital does testing after D&C.  i was diagnosed with a partial molar pregnancy and now am being monitored, bloodwork every week.  this is very rare but it is good they did the testing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Any time you have a surgery and take something from you they HAVE TO send it to Pathology that is to check if it was molar or not. If you were to have chromosomal testing done then 1/2 gets sent to pathology and 1/2 gets sent to genetics. So, you will not find out if anything other than a molar pregnancy was found.

• imageHeidisean:

So, you will not find out if anything other than a molar pregnancy was found.

I don't see why this is necessary, then. We saw a normal baby with a strong hb at 7w0d. I actually passed the fetus in the ER and the Doctor said it was completely "in tact." Wouldn't they sort of be able to tell by just looking at it  if it were molar? Would a molar pregnancy have had a HB?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"